Cutting hole in deck

nightingale300

Hi people well the boat is out of the water again to hopefully do the final bits to the boat so we can finally get her out and get some fishing done and a suntan. We have at last got the stern power leg off and being serviced, this will at last give me piece of mind that all seals and bearings are fine once replaced, getting the injection pump serviced or new OUCH!!!!!and new pipes so hopefully it will start when it should. Thought I would dip the tank and found a amount of sludge on the stick so will I have to drain all the fuel out or will treatment with the fuel bug do the job as I can't get the tank out as its set in under some beams. I'm sooooo glad I decided to cut a hatch into the deck where the main fuel feed goes into the tank to have a look, the feed pipe was only just on the tank as the clip had failed to the extent when I touched the hose it just fell off so this explains the smell of diesel and why we always had residue so I gues when it was being filled some got in the tank and some in the hull, I got 18ltr out of the hull and into a old oil drum from work. So best fit a new hose to this ASAP. Have you all checked yours lately????

Don't rely just on treating the fuel if you know there is already a sludge residue. Get at it and clean it right out. Use  Marine 'Diesel Marendo' in any fuel used in the future. This will keep your fuel in tip top condition but also keep your injector pump and injectors clean and fully functional.

Check inside your fuel tank visually though the inspection hatch every service and you'll not go far wrong. If you find this difficult, many marine mechanics have an inspection camera/scope you might use.

http://www.wessexchemicalfactors.co.uk/product-detail.php?id=21

Try my local supplier. The write up explains the benefits.

Malcolm you're firm do a flush pump kit that cleans all the fuel through various filters, I have a small camera at work u can borrow that we use for looking into cylinders for piston damage without taking heads off

Nige

Thanks guys. I was thinking about our flushing kit but I've never seen it in action yet as it spends most of its time at Discovery Yachts in Southampton but I think I did see it at our workshop the other day so I will have to investigate and see how it all works, I bet they won't let me use it for free though haha.

Thanks for the offer to borrow the camera but I will still check out maplins prices as I see one today in Force 4 for £129.99.

New feed pipe will go back in tomorrow night once I get one from work but all other hoses from tank are all good as only fitted them in November.

Just need to hear how much the leg refurb is going to be and wait for the rams to come back from our workshop, I do hope they are kind to us.

Then can sort the injector pump and pipes out, a lick of paint and anti foul, fit the new cabin door I picked up from Wilson flyer in Havant then hopefully time to go fishing without having to use charter boats to get my fishing fix haha

Ah nice must be a first for me as I can't wait to go to work tomorrow haha, as I have not worked with this equipment at Hyphose I don't know how it all works so I will have to see if happy Keith will give me a run down. I'm getting all excited know as things are coming together, and there I was thinking I need to keep my empty oil drums to put all that fuel in and find some where licenced to dispose of it, approx 200ltr so I guess this fuel polisher will save us ££££££ Nice I like it already

Thanks Charlie :-)