Big girl and a Turbo

Barto

Over the past few days, I have been down, really down. My dissapointment at not being able to go to Tywyn had got to me. I had to do a huge amount of work in a new leisure centre in a very short space of time. Ended up working to about 10pm every day and to top it all, my youngest had a temperature of 39.5 degrees for about 3 days. My wife spent most of the tail end of the week in hospital with him.

I needed cheering up. I woke up at 5:30am as I had forgotten to disable my alarm. I decided to leave her with the kids and make a break for the door. The boat was loaded from yesterday and I had some bait left so it was a local launch for a quick session.
I got down to Southbourne and it looked lovely. There was a slight ripple as the wind was westerly and with the tide. There were a few boats about as it was the local bream comp. I launched and headed out to the spot off the coast guards tower. Richi had said there were a few mackies about so I set up some feathers. I managed to get a couple. They were very few and far between and were small.
I had gone out to try for a Plaice as I have yet to get one this year. I was also hoping for an early ray but without fresh bait, I knew it would be a big ask.
The couple of mackies I had were filleted and dropped to the bottom. I was getting plagued by doggies, which is inevitable when using fish baits. They were coming thick and fast and I was starting to get frustrated. Every few minutes the tip would rattle and dog on.
I watched the tip rattle and picked the rod up. I lifted into the fish and felt the weight but this was no doggie, it was fighting back. I slowly wound up and was amazed and delighted to see this little fella. A rarity here.

004-2.jpg

It was a cracking little Turbot. Not huge by Shambles standards but welcome none the less. It had swallowed the hook deeply. I couldn't even see it down its cavernous throat. I was made up. I had never caught a Turbo here before but better was to come.
Just as the tide slowed, so did the bites. I decided to wait until it had started to turn, then head in. Out the corner of my eye, I saw my rod start to bend and bend and bend. Damn, bottom I thought. No, this snag was moving and staying deep. I tightened my drag slightly and began to gently pump the rod. I must have gained 10 feet or so and this fish dived again. This was repeated at least 4 times before I felt I was making head way. I knew that what ever it was, it was going to be a sizable specimen. I readied the camera just in case and continued the fight and then this was my view of what came up.

006-1.jpg

I have had some very big rays in the past and this was also one of the biggies. I had to get this in for a photo but she would not give in. Normally when they are on their backs, they tend to give up. This one righted herself and dived again.
Eventually Imanaged to get the ray on board.

008-1.jpg

I had no scales but I would guesstimate a good mid double. I could see she was only lightly hooked so it was easy to free her.

011-1.jpg

That was it for me. I had accomplished what I had come to do. A few more points for the team and a chance to get out over the weekend.