Loftywyn

lofty

I'd planned to make the trip up to Tywyn for the first time, inspired by post on AA from years past by the likes of overrun , lozz, etc.

I'd had a lot of help in planning my visit thanks to Lureman , Richi and Lozz

I was meant to go shotgun to Barto but family illness and work had him pull out this time so with a loaded poshboys wheelbarrow I made the journey North on Thursday.

As I'm a soft southerner ,and don't drink or partake in the herb superb, I decided sleeping in the van sober would be hell, so I booked in for two nights at the Monfa B and B in Tywyn. 40 quid a night. Very standard dated room but super friendly and helpful owners .Just to see the Saddam lampshade ill stay here againnull-95.jpg

Awarded themselves 4 stars ( of David?)

null-94.jpg

Thursday when I arrived it was blowing a hoolie but I got my bearings. Forecast was very windy for Friday but good for the bank holiday Saturday.

Plans were made and five early birds, pikeman( codman, topeman)dan, Lureman, Alex and Zebbedee arrived at Criccieth on Friday to seek shelter under the cliffs for a spot of fishing. Huss , dogs, Maccys for me

John/ Zeb

null-114.jpg

null-103.jpg

It was pretty grim but I managed my pb bull Huss at 11lb

null-106.jpg

Alex and Steve seemed pretty at home in their Scupper pros though

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

We travelled down to Tywyn and met up at the launch . More had arrived and I sloped off to a shower and comfy bed and early night whilst my comrades manfully attacked the left over Christmas booze and had a high time down dog sh1t alley.

What a difference the next day. Keen and well rested I was up at the crack of sparrows and unloading. The boys would tell you I was quiet as a mouse as they arose from their substance endured comas one by one. Seeing the sunrise over the mountains and river, rigging up and sharing a laugh are what makes these meet ups perfect.

At this point I had not much of a clue as to where I'm going but I have to say a big thank you to Steve ( Lureman) for looking after Tywyn virgins,me and Dan, guiding us out and putting us on the fish.You're a good man and great fun to be around.

How early???

029.jpg

The guru

null-79.jpg

Pike/cod/tope Mandan

null-80.jpg

The sea state was lovely, and with a hope in my mind of catching I set up. After an hour or so Steves in. No photos from me as he was to distant. Pulls up a big old girl. Excitement builds.

Yesterday's caught mackerel is down there and sure enough, Bang, off she goes. After a few minutes I see colour.

Ahhhh. My kayak suddenly seems very small. I've not come all this way not to get her on board and I want my hook out. They say they rust away but these big b*stards would take years. I grab hold of the fin and on she comes. Well if you think they fight in the water try sticking one on your lap. Chaos. The rods go in . The anchor reel is in. I'm bricking it that the fish finder is going in. She spins, wrapping up in 200 lb line. I couldnt see how im getting my hand near that gob so I cut the hook at the knot and pull it straight through. She bled a bit so a quick couple of photos and back she went. Not great photos and apologies for the blood but I made sure she recovered then let her go. I have no idea on weight. She was very long as you can only see half in my photos . I've had a 14 lb smoothy and the tope seemed twice as big and far more powerful so I'm guessing about 30.

null-115.jpg

null-109.jpg

A clean up and all hopes are now on Dan. We didn't have to wait long. Good stuff.

My biggest mistake was not having fresh bait. The Maccys I had were 2 day old frozen and I just had bull Huss after bull Huss . I sabiki'd up a herring that was hit and chomped off by a tope but that was it for my day.

We dragged the yaks half way up the river and paddled back

Jason very kindly let me have a crack at his stealth. What a lovely yak. Feels like a glass scupper. I didn't mess around with the peddles but wonder if any 6 foot plus guys have them as I wonder on the leg length?? Beautiful through the water.

After a bit of larking with team vittles I said my goodbyes and made the 280 mile trip back/5 1/2 hrs to Poole. It's a tiring trip but I will be back( albeit in the comfort of a B and B )

As I write this the boys are anglers afloat on Sunday morning.

Tight lines all

Lofty