trailer modification help needed.

Graham Nash

My 20ft boat is sitting on a huge trailer, The front extension protrudes 7 or 8 feet out in front. This obviously takes up extra room in my yard and in the car park but more importantly makes it very difficult to get the boat out of my yard due to a tight turning spot just outside my gate. 

Is there anyone in the club (or do we have a preferred engineering company) that would preferably visit my place, chop the main beam and re bolt the tow hitch to the shortened beam?? 

Obviously i'm expecting to pay the going rate.

Graham.

Thats very good of you Chris 

Ive just measured it and my trailer distance between the back wheels and the tow hitch is 23ft  but the width of the turning space is 16ft so it's hardly surprising i struggle!

Before I get some help to drag it out of my yard I attach a couple of pics for you to see what I have and to see if its something we can do easy enough??

Note the "stepped" thicker bit, I don't know how important this bit is (if at all)???

001_zps1c8d0184.jpg

003_zps38ce88c5.jpg

Many thanks.

I'm liking the sound of this Wedger ..... I think if I could get a few feet off the trailer it could make a big difference to getting in and out. (I know it wont make the sun shine nor the wind die down but i'd be 1/3 of the way there :-)) 

Just ensure that the coupling will fit tight to the bit you leave after cutting!!!!

The balance of the trailer will change a bit as you are taking some weight off a long way from the pivot (wheels), so if it is dimly balanced you may upset your rig!

Most people want a bigger one, this is a first!!!! :)

Rob

Just ensure that the coupling will fit tight to the bit you leave after cutting!!!!

This is my main concern Rob, It seems that there is a sleeve welded over the main beam to pack it out??

As for the balance, The trailer sits perfectly on the 4 wheels and the tow hitch doesnt seem to be taking any weight at all so i dont think it should affect the balance. I agree about most people wanting bigger and thats another concern, if i cut it then it will be specific to that particular boat. But as it is, it causes me a problem.  

PJ, I think Graham's would be well above the legal 750kg towing limit for unbraked trailers.

Rob

ton and a half boat so it def needs brakes. The balance of the trailer is good and the boat sits perfectly on the back of it, its just that the trailer used to have a 26ft boat on it so I moved the bow support back to meet the front of my boat but that leaves about 6 or 7ft sticking out of the front (not being used). 

Well, thanks the the visit by Chris and his confidence that it was a "simple job" and "it's only metal" he gave me the info I needed and the more I thought about his words the more i shared his confidence.

So armed with angle grinder, hacksaw and drill I started this morning at 11AM. By 12AM it's all done :-) ... 35 inches of 90X90 box section removed:-)

BEFORE

001_zps1c8d0184.jpg

AFTER

001_zps073f097c.jpg

Just got to go to Screwfix and get 3 more bolts and re connect the brake cable.

Many thanks Chris, and I owe you a drink :-)