Lever drag clutch serviing

Bob F

Rich,

Drags should be set using the pulling power of the rod. eg: hook a loop of line around a cleat and pull with the rod until you are happy that the line on the reel gives under the pressure of the bent rod.

If you guess by just pulling line off the reel your not taking into account the rod and they can all be different test curves so the reel should be adjusted accordingly.

Cheers

Paul J

• 4 weeks later...

Just serviced all three of my reels - using the above info to help.

Was a little nervous, as I have taken star drags apart before and not been able to put them back together - no such issue with the lever drags.

Each one took about 1/2 hour. I stripped each one, washed the parts on hot soapy water and then lightly greased each part as I re-assembled them.

They now all run like new.

Interesting was that the Okuma Titus Gold seemed much better built than the shimano's - huge main gearing, all machined internals (no plastic), and I have looked after it a little more than the others...but one of the retaining screws was corroded in and needed drilling out (ouch! taking a DeWalt to the side of my

Adam,

mucho sympathy (and glad the Okuma is solid inside after the various discussions last year - just need the fish to really test it!)

having spent all weekend (I was reliably informed) on my Penns the difference between the reels was noticable

GLS25 LD - 15 minutes tops; almost no internal corrosion, touch of verdigris on some of the external metal

320Gti - 4 hours (including a bit of bother putting it back together!); extensive green and brown bits, bearing a little less than smooth etc (and it really didn't feel as if there was anything needed at all before I got stuck in)

310 Gti - 1 hour (learn't!) less used in the winter and it showed as there was little evidence that salt water had got in and just the odd bit to clean up - bearing sweet too.

fuelled by sucess went back to the 975LD and it's now sorted - the drag wasn't releasing properly previously but now OK.

The Formula remains outstanding until I get the service book back from the van next month because despite taking all the screws I could see out couldn't get it apart! It seems OK but after the experience of the 320Gti I have decided to pull it apart anyway.

Braids will have to last another year - but I don't get out enough with most of them!