3rd battery

Newboy

Hi Kam,

The important thing is that the engine MUST be charging a battery all the time it is running.

If you disconnect the alternator/charge circuit whilst the engine is running it will blow the alternator electronics! Exspensive repair!!! weep.gifweep.gif

If you are using an official battery change over switch, this keep continuity onto a battery all the time uless you switch it to the off position, then of course the engine stops!

I use a normal car battery to start the engine, cheap and easy to obtain and a leisure battery to run the electronics. It was the other way around when I got my boat but as explained earlier, the electronics pulled down the car type battery after 2 days continual use. sad.gif

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Kam,

As Coddy says, it is OK to switch from 1 to Both to 2. However, it is NOT OK to switch from 1 to OFF ( or 2 to OFF ) whilst the engine is running / charging the battery.

The reason for this is that by switching off the current whilst charging can cause the voltage to leap to a high level ( due to inductance ). This high leap in voltage is capable of destroying the diodes which are used to rectify the a/c current from the alternator.

A battery switch will have 4 positions - 1 -> BOTH -> 2 -> OFF

The thing to remember is to never switch to OFF with the engine running.

regards Paul

back to your current ( sad.gif ) batteries -

12.3 after charging, ie a few minutes after charging, is shot. 12.3 as a float charge (few hours after charging) is on it's way out.

you chould have 12.8v at least 1 hour after charging - and preferably a week after charging.

reference 'start on both then run on 1'........?

may I tactfully (moi?) suggest tha tif you start on both (and I do) then you should run out with both on and therefore charging. Then switch back to one when you arrive and stop the engine.

Next is preference but I now stay with this battery for the rest of the day, including restarts and the run home knowing that I have a fully charged 'spare' and giving the other a good cycle of discharge/charge on it's own going home.

If it's showing below 12.6 volts though I use both to restart.

Lowrance Sonar unit, which displays voltage, is now th elast thing off the boat before the battery switches are turned off, and I check each batteries voltages around 45 minutes usually, after switching off the engine - reversing the check before starting up.

Battery management - hours of fun!

back to your current ( sad.gif ) batteries -

12.3 after charging, ie a few minutes after charging, is shot. 12.3 as a float charge (few hours after charging) is on it's way out.

you chould have 12.8v at least 1 hour after charging - and preferably a week after charging.

Shame both lovely batteries and both less than 1 years old (one in march and one in may) and sod's bloody law, I've only got receipt for one of the batteries.......

Oh well, back to Towsure. dry.gif