4 bladed props?

Adam F

Right, getting somewhere.

Had a good chat with Coastalrides - who supplied the engine orginally. My D3 should max out at 4000rpm - it doesnt so, I'm over propped as I can only get 3600... so thats good news.

He has also got a 2nd hand 4 blader that isnt much money - Ive bought it and going to give that a bash - if it works and I want to upgrade to a SS one he will take this one back in exchange, or if it doesnt work out, he'll take it back for a 20% restocking charge - sounds fair to me.

Fingers crossed with a 2" reduction in pitch and an extra blade I should get more revs, a better hole shot and a better cruise.

I'll know tomorrow as it will be here in the morning!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this sorted.

Coastal rides sent me out the wrong prop last week, right size but was too short in the hub. After a lot of to and fro, they offered to do send me a new Volvo prop at a good price.

So for the record I had a 3 bladed Ali prop 14.25x21" I was getting 3600 rpm. Max rpm for the D3 Volvo is 4000 rpm.

I now have a 4 bladed Ali prop 14.25x19". I went out today for a short blast up the harbour, a full tank of fuel, Little Reub and a huge bucket of tools onboard.

In summary it is a better set up but it will take a few hours of use in varying conditions to really get a feel for it. The old prop wasn't that far off, but with this new prop I feel I'm getting the most out of the engine, and the right pitching and extra blade seem to do what everyone said they would: hole shot seems faster, I'm now planning at much lower speed, just over 10 knots, I get lower revs at cruising sped, for example I used to cruise at 18 knots for 2800rpm, I now get the same speed at 2600rpm. I did give it a WOT run.... That was scary! I've never wound the engine up to 4000 before! It felt like it was screaming and I was concerned that I'd go over.... But nope, at the throttle stop I was bang on 4000 so that was good news - this gave me 34 knots! I've also got the benefit if having a spare prop to carry just in case.

So really chuffed and I look forward to trying it out a bit more this spring.

Interesting thread.

Tiddler is on the max engine size and hence a little stern heavy.

I spoke to the designer / builder who said that trim tabs would get her up on the plane at lower speeds.

I'm reluctant to start drilling and fixing tabs.

I wonder if a 4 blader would help on a titchy little boat?

If I get up onto the plane, and ease back to stay inside the harbour speed limit she begins to fall back off the plane. This sounds like prop slip.

Maybe I should be speaking to some of these propeller companies too ? ? ?

Jim

Bloody fantastic Adam, more Alderney budget for tackle, rather than fuel!!! ;o)

You needed some good news!!!

Jim, you need tabs! Even a 40 would prob weight the same as your 50.

I put tabs on mine and can happily plane @ 10knts, and more importantly keep on the plane, before it used to be 12/13+ if I didn't want it to drop off when encountering wash.

Rob

about half a knot slower than ours :P

Lol! It was a while ago that I tried, but I think it was 32 knots.

Tab ah, I couldn't give a toss about the top end, I never use it, why would I, its the more economical cruise and lower planning speed that is the big benefit.