Christchurch/Mudeford launch

plaicemat

I am a newly joined member of PBSBAC and would appreciate help regarding launching at Christchurch or Mudeford. I used to moor a larger boat in Holes bay about 20 years ago but now have a trailed craft. I want to fish Cristchurch Ledge and feel launching nearby would be an advantage. Any help gratefully received.

Hi Plaicemat, welcome to the club.

I fish from Christchurch about 80% of the time and have been for a few years now. I find that the variety of fishing available outweighs other areas.

Wick slipway (Chistchurch): This would be a lovely slip if they repaired the lower section, therefore launching with at least an hour of water either side of low is v. advisable, although as Alun J says, it depends on your type of boat. A 12' open dingy is no probs at all stats, whereas a 21' vabin cruiser would need most of the high tide. This is a river slip and therefore is tidal. I have a Warrior 165 and use an Astra to launch and retreave no probs except when really low water. The entrance to the sea is about 1 mile from the slip through the Harbour which is v.shallow and you MUST follow the channel.

Muddiford is a slip I use rarely. It is very close to the entrance so it saves a long slow (4 knots speed limit) run through the harbour, but the slip itself is very shallow and requires most boats to me unhitched and waded out to deeper water. The Car Park here can also get dredfully busy making parking and manouvering a boat a little tricky. Probably a better winter slip when the tides are right - you need high water here.

If you want help any day Im happy to assist, or you could tag along with me one day - let me know.

Adam

Terry,

I also launch from Wick virtually everytime ( and sometimes from Lymington ). As Adam says the slipway needs the lower section repairing, but it is an easy slipway to use. I launchy a 17ft Orkney there with a Mondeo with no problem.

As Adam says you have to keep to the channel in the harbour as it is very shallow ( even in the harbour ) and going over the sandbar outside the entrance is also something to be wary of ( it gets very shallow a suprisingly long way out ).

Same as for Adam with regard to assisting ( weekends best for me ) and if you want a "buddy boat" to go out with.

Only attempted to launch from Mudeford once but someone got the tide times slightly wrong smile.gif

Thanx a lot for both those replies, v.useful indeed. I would be very grateful for any help and even accompanying someone would be great. Weekends are best for me and I will be down this weekend (27/28-11) on one day depending on the weather. I have a Microplus 501 fisher with a 50hp Mariner, launching with a Landrover Discovery. If poss, I will keep in contact.

Terry

Most club members will be fishing on Sunday in our open boat competition or at least they had better after all the effort that goes into organising it tongue.gif so you may struggle to get anyone to fish from xchurch

Why not come and launch from Poole and enter the competition

Martin