Licencing for private pleasure boats

Afishionado

I have a friend in South Africa who's husband (Geoff) is a government appointed marine inspector. His (part time) job is the renew via inspection each boats annual licence to go to sea. As we had some talk about licencing in the UK I made some enquiries. And this is the pertinent part of her reply.......

Ski-boats & inflatables have to be inspected once a year (Marine regulations) and have to comply with safety regulations relative to their size & the distance offshore they are travelling. They all (except inflatables, obviously) have to provide the boat surveyor with a buoyancy (flotation) certificate from the manufacturers stating that the craft has the correct number of plastic bottles or polystyrene to keep it afloat bearing in mind the number of crew, the engines etc, if it is holed. (I'm a little vague about this - the bottom line is the boat has to stay afloat & not sink to the bottom). The boats that Geoff surveys are all 9 metres & under. The bigger ones have to have a qualified Marine Surveyor - one of the professionals from the Dept of Transport & I think this craft is slipped for survey.

The motors are checked that they are working, the hull is inspected, transom etc. Then each category of boat has a certain amount of safety equipment which must be carried. The length of the boat governs how many are allowed on board - basically it works at one metre equals one person. Petrol inboard engines have to carry all sorts of extra equipment, like blowers & a sprinkler system. Certain of them have to have a life raft - this depends on the flotation, I think.

.......................................................................................................................

Issued by: GEOFF HAWKINS:

SAMSA AUTHORISED AGENT

REGULATION NO 23345 : 2002

CATEGORY C

Power Driven Vessels operating more than 5 nautical miles but not more than 15 nautical miles from shore

1 APPROVED LIFE JACKET PER PERSON

post-13-1100785280.gif

great post and a whole load of info.

Shows the difference between regulation and advisory very clearly though - no half measures in the regulated environment!

In our case I don't think I comply with 9 (but don't understand it!) and have only 1 space blanket on board :0( .

Yes it shows what regulations could do

but if you look at the list it is close to our recomended list

m

I think 9 reads chain/warp or just chain.

As an RYA powerboat/safety boat instructor I might make a few bob if they made these checks and some instruction compulsary in our country as it is in other european countries.

Charlie

Yep - very similar to our clubs list. I read somewhere that in SA these things are taken far more seriously - they do stuff like we faced at Kimmeridge as a matter of course most days, they have little choice! Launching and returning from open beaches in heavy surf conditions.

I think I read that certian sized vessels (6m and over I think) has to have 2 engines of the same size.

"9 CAPSIZE BOTTLE & ROPE ROPE TO BE MINIMUM 1.5 TIMES LENGTH OF VESSEL

(UNLESS LIFE-RAFT IS CARRIED)"

Isn't this something you throw overboard and cling to if the boat capsizes or if you have a MOB?

BF

No it's the wife one throws overboard and hangs on to!!

Seriously one can easily make one by threading 8M of 8mm rope through an old tennis ball and filling the ball with building foam. When dry and set, paint the ball day-glow orange. tie one end to a ring in the boat and have the ball end coiled and ready to throw.

Mad Mike