Do you know how to tie knots?

Coddy

So, what it the advantage of this knot??

Rich mentions that it allows you to put tension on the line, and the loop gives you an easy point to tie off to, I suppose???

BF

For those of us who were boating before the advent of ratchet straps, the truckers hitch is/was a sure fire method of getting a tight strain on any tie down rope. It act as a 3:1 purchase.

Being a bit catty or bitchy whichever takes your choice biggrin.gif I think having seen some of the rope work used by some of the members ohmy.gif that a 'Rope Work' and 'Every day knots' session would be a good idea. A pass would be the ability to tie a bowline behind ones back biggrin.gif

This conjures up a picture of a trail away to Weymouth with all the members on the pontoon facing the wall whilst securing their boats laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Rich

A rope around your waist is easily tied into a bowline with one hand.

I say easy, but it takes a bit of practice. [not even sure I can still do it now]

charlie

Bob

I have been trying to remember the name of a knot used a lot in the states.This is an easy knot for attaching clips and swivels and is rated 100%

I believe they rate their knots by the percntage of the breaking strain of the line it breaks at.

Ie: a knot that weakens the line by friction or compression during tying is rated at a low percentage.

Double the line back on itself into a loop, thread on swivel, tie a normal overhand knot with the swivel traped by the knot, then pass the loop in the end of the doubled line over the swivel wet the line and pull tight.

I hope that makes enough sense for someone to recognise the Knot, its easier to tie than to describe, but a bit bulky for a hook knot

I may try a sketch later

Charlie biggrin.gif

tongue.gif Charlie, I think you will find that it is called a Palomar. I did post the ultimate leader knot a while ago which is almost 100%. It is called the Sig knot and is a doddle to tie. Type Sig Knot into Google and it will come up. This joins to a loop in the braid,4 turn Nail knot, and you have 100% join and very neat too. BB cool.gif

Thanks Billy

The name had been bugging me so much today I stopped in wessex angling on my way home

Simon also said it was a palomar knot

In my experiance it is well worth using these 100% knots if you can, this one is an easy one.

i will look the others up to see if I use them

Charlie biggrin.gif