Gino

Hi Everyone

Just joined the club so I thought I'd say hi. I have bought a boat this year and it is kept in Poole Harbour and do most fishing around the harbour entrance/just outside. Didn't catch much in the beginning but starting to get some results now and have had quite a few bass (biggest 44cm) and caught a 3lb Plaice!

Mad keen on doing some cod fishing but don't really know where to start. Have heard lots of people saying the needles is the place to go but don't have any marks.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Gino

Hi Gino and welcome to both the forum and our club.

I have updated your forum status to that of club member so you can now see the member only section.

Niggle has given you spot on advice and if you would like an idea of which areas to be looking at you only have to ask. If you are new to our area it may pay you dividends to volunteer to crew on members boats, just keep an eye on the boat buddies section.

Need any further advice then ask away on here

Martin

Thanks chaps

I am thinking of heading out to the needles on Wednesday for the first time. Are there any general areas I should head for or just try to get close to the needles? I have no idea what to look for and as it is not the weekend there are probably not going to be any boats out there showing me the way....

Welcome Gino - there will be boats out there midweek if the forecast is favourable.

Below is a quick pick of where I think the "CarPark" is. However, it is such a large barron-ish area, some fish close in and some further out.

Rob

user posted image

Rode wise will depend on anchor size / chain weight v boat size and weight (and tide \ wind). I was able to happily anchor with 50m in 25m of water on Sunday, and we could see other boats slipping (it that were me it would have been a tactical slow drift!!!).

But indeed, to have 3x depth available would be minimum (my rode was 110m i total i f needed).

Rob

Thanks for all the replies. Amazingly helpful.

Once we get out there, assuming the weather is ok, I will call on channel 6 to see if there are any of you guys out there.

One last question about tackle...

Using fixed spool reels with 20lb mono on at the moment, do I need to change that?

And is a pennel rig loaded up with squid the best bait to get going with, or is it rag tipped off with a tiny bit of squid? I've been told different things about what to use..

Thanks for all the replies.  Amazingly helpful.

Once we get out there, assuming the weather is ok, I will call on channel 6 to see if there are any of you guys out there.

One last question about tackle...

Using fixed spool reels with 20lb mono on at the moment, do I need to change that?

And is a pennel rig loaded up with squid the best bait to get going with, or is it rag tipped off with a tiny bit of squid?  I've been told different things about what to use..

Regarding rigs for cod, most me included, use a whole or two (or three or six....) squid or a cuttle on a pennel rig, bait bound tightly on with elastic to slow the rate at which the inevitable dogfish and pout remove the bait.

Regarding your fixed spools if they can crank up a pound or more of lead (looking at the tides tomorrow you'll need at least a pound once the tide starts flowing at any of the marks more than a mile offshore)from 100' then they're probably ok.

Re line strength I've used 20lb braid for years and have yet to be broken by a fish.

You will need even more lead if you are using mono main line.

On sunday we were fishin with 30lb braid and 10oz or 12oz to counter the "red weed" on ebb.

I had an uptider and that had 25lb mono on it, but I lowered it in as a downtide rod whilst the flow was reduced and wind was winning (becasue lines were going the wrong way), and that needed 12oz lead to hold and the braid rods were more than happy on 8oz.

Thicknesses:

0.5mm mono line @ 25lb v 0.1mm braid @30lb

Makes an awful lot of difference in tide, plus you just cant feel anything with mono, it is truly fishing in the dark ages.

Rob