Light line fishing

boybilly

tongue.gif A thought suddenly hit me this evening while assisting/ fishing with my son in the junior league, regarding Adams comments on conger fishing yesterday. 150 lb traces for fishing. I realise that conger have tremendous biting power but even very light wire ( Comparitively speaking ) is impervious to all but the biggest eels. 30-50 should be able to subdue most eels. Some of you chaps are probably not old enough to remember a programme called OUT OF TOWN with Jack Hargreaves but I vividly remember a certain one regarding light tackle. Dont forget we are talking 35 years ago so envisage the tackle used.

He rigged a 10lb class outfit together with a fixed spool reel and went to the local swimming baths. His aim was to show just how much pressure one could use to subdue the biggest fish on light tackle. He tied the 10lb line to the belt of a fully suited diver and challenged him to swim to the other end of a 50 mtr(yard) pool. Not a chance of the diver making it. I know that fish are more adapted to life in the water(Obviously) but it opened my eyes to the possibilities with balanced light line tackle. What I am getting at is that even with a rod bent double it is suprising how little strain you are putting on the outfit. If you think that braid manufacturers recommend 1/3 of the breaking strain as drag pressure yet you can still halt a big fish. With todays technology it wont be long before the perfect trace line/wire is on the market, wafer thin and super strong, presentation is foremost. Am I waffling on here? but it is a subject for conjecture. BB unsure.gifunsure.gif

Hi all

I use 9" of single strand stainless wire[about 60 lb test] to 4ft 60lb test mono on my tope traces with Virivas 6/0 Big Mouth extra hooks.

The nylon is only that thick to combat their abrasive skin if they get wrapped up.

A charter skipper showed me these many years ago and his thoughts were that the wire went between their teeth so was very hard to bite through.

I have had one or two get through the nylon but none through the wire. and we used to get a lot of 30lb + fish.

I also use these for conger and have never lost one to an open water fish, lost a few to wrecks and Dorset though.

Charlie

I am sure the answer is a new pike wire to the market.

This stuff is made from the same technology used to make braid, but instead of using braid fibres, ultra fine s/s wire is used - the result? I mega flexable, easily knotted s/s wire/braid combo. I was given 5mtrs as a sample a few months ago, and am just coming to the end of the spool. It really is amazing stuff. A simple blood knot is all that is needed, and the presentation is as good as 30lb nylon. It is not so thin that it acts like cheesewire on the fishes mouth, but fine enough to offer good presentation.

On sunday I kept hooking eels on my whiting rod, so I changed to the wire and kept the small hooks, kept catching whiting, but didnt get biten off by the eels.

Anyone wants any let me know.

Adam

Been into the shop today and ordered it - as a way of a small plug it came from Bournemouth Fishing Lodge.

I used it all day yesterday with a 6/0 circle. Incidently I hooked loads more fish on this rod - and not too many doggies. Unless the fish really takes the bait proper and therefore gets the hook inside him, he dont get hooked - therefore nusiance fish that play around with the bait dotn get hooked.

One thing though - you MUST use a grinner with it, doesnt go well with a blood not.

Should be here next few days.

Adam

tongue.gif Adam, Good to hear you had a decent day out. What make of cicle do you use? I have found the Mustad are very heavy in the wire. Try owner as they are very good. Good point about the Grinner Knot as it allows the hook to swivel but a better knot is to whip the hook down the shank. Once tied slide a short length of shrink tube over the knot and presto, nice and neat. The shrink tube also acts as a half decent biter, not that you need it with circles. The Streamer Hooks from UK are excellant also, the longer shank really helps bait presentation. Regards, BB cool.gif

I use the Std circles from Mike at UK Hooks, I got a 100 mixed starter pack. Although as you said I do find them fairly heavy in the wire and quite dear too.

I do use a grinner, although have just started to crimp them and leave a loop. In my carp fishing days we used a ring called a 'hinge rig' it used a bent hook (similar to a circle) and the loop which held the hook and allowed it to move feely and exagerated the 'self hooking' principle of the circle hook.

Was in my local tackle shop today and he has just got some Mustard fine wire circles in stock - cheap as chips at

• 2 weeks later...

Right,

Billy and Alan - 25kg

Bob & Paul - 12.5kg

Lookfar - Ill let you have the 1st of the next batch.

Ill pick them up in the next few days and post them off to you all. I have your addresses from the new member listing.

Dont worry about the P+P...just