Undulate Rays

Rob

With the discussion on Udulates and their protected status being raised in other forums and being raised on Thursday at the Club meeting and questions raised and a motion passed to not allow them to be brought to the scales at the Open.

I thought I woudl find out and cotact the Southern IFCA and see what they say.

I had a very swift reply from Ian Carrier:

"Dear Mr Francis

Art 8 (d) of Council Regulation (EU) No 57/2011 prohibits EU vessels from fishing for, to retain on board, to tranship or to land undulate rays.  Any caught should be released unharmed.

As far as I can ascertain this regulation only applies to Licenced EU fishing vessels and does not therefore apply to the unlicensed sector.  However, the IFCA would prefer it if those engaged in recreational fishing complied with the spirit of the legislation.

Yours sincerely

Ian Carrier"

Fairly clear I think, assuming we are non commercials. However, as we are lucky enough to have a large population of Undulate locally, we should look after them as a club and keep on putting them back.

Rob

This is what they look like, beautiful:

user posted image

I agree Likewise.

The decision to exclude them from the Open comp was unfortunately made late, but IMHO is correct.

As Mr Carrier says;

"we prefer it if those engaged in recreational fishing complied with the spirit of the legislation".

and as Rob says;

"we should look after them as a club and keep on putting them back"

Just as a point of interest on all rays, if you see the edges of their wings turning pink/red this indicates that they are under stress and should be released as soon as possible.

I learnt this from one some time ago from one of the masters of ray fishing, Davy Holt of Common Skate fame.

Dave

cool.gif