Swanage Monday 11th....what to target??

lofty

cool.gif Xc have been on the money for all of my recent launches. Can but hope. Been catching some good bass recently, but fancy catching something new. Maybe rays , still haven't caught a plaice or bream . cool.gif

Lofty

Ballard should be good for a few Bream and they get some good ones close in.

Also the Fleur de lys wreck for a few small bait fish,

Rays around the whitehouse grounds at slack or under Durlestone Castle at the end of the Bay.

Wrasse Pollack macs bass over the peverill ledge, inside the buoy

but take care of the overfalls here.

Tight lines

Charlie

Loads of mini species in the bay and around the pier. We had a few Undulate Rays last year on the ground south of the FL wreck, but was end of May. Wreck stuffed with Pout. Bream along in front of the cliffs from Ballard to Old Harry at 40ft, need to watch the tides though.

Good Luck!

During the past week I have spent 1-2 hours breaming at ballards on two occasions with poor results. It was fishing well up to mid June and has fallen right off. you may get better results for bream just off dancing ledge. good luck !

let us know if you find them

Hi lofty, Good advice being given but like james says ,watch the tide , if you want to fish ballard point to old harry be there early with the high then get back into the bay as the ebb starts to build, stay away from peveril point on the ebb if you go round into durlston bay you will struggle to get back blink.gif

Try tanville ledges in front of the Grand Hotel for bass ,pollock then paddle straight out until you are in line with ballard point and peveril point should put you over the sandbank for rays. .

Good luck

Ben

cool.gif Weather window still looking good from Sunday onwards.Monday for me still. thanks for the advice.I've been at old Harry on springs and not really suitable in a fishing kayak, maybe the stealthy sea ones.Tide on Monday is small so should be ok. is there a website with swanage specific charts that detail the above info? I've got a good app that should be suitable as a plotter so was going to try and find some marks ie the wreck of the fl...etc. Any numbers I'd be grateful.

What's best for rays? Maccy flappers on a paternoster? Whole squid? The feathers I use have large hooks. Are they suitable with squid for Bream or should I use shrimp rigs?

Sorry about all the questions

Lofty cool.gif

Edited by lofty

Hi Lofty

I usually use a two hook rig for bream , unless its really snaggy then I simplify to a drilled bullet and flowing trace.

Hook size about 1 or 2 but avoid very fine wire as they could straighten on big fish.

I find luminous beads by the hook help, and use squid heads for bait.

keep the bodies for ray bait or chop up and use as groundbait

Rays I use mackeral fillets whole or cut in half lengthwise for bigger Macs. Trace of choice would be a flowing trace about 4ft long and at least 60-lb mono.

Tight lines

Charlie