outboard problems

Gnasher

i launced for a bass trip yesterday, but the pull start engine failed to fire. It was running fine the previous day (as it always does). I had plenty of compression, and it nearly fired first pull, but that was as good as it got. I left it for a bit as i thought i may have flooded it, re-tired. Replaced the lugs, no joy. Checked the hoses, carb, HT leads, etc, and everything looked fine. I then noticed oil pi$$ing out of leg, and dripping off the prop.

Not a happy outing!

Dan,

Sorry to hear that you had problems.

If your after advice. More info required:

What year is the unit?

Is it premix? I assume auto lube as it was leaking neat oil.

Dave Samuel might be your man.

Rob

Hi Dan

Is the engine 2 or 3 cylinders?

If oil is coming out of the prop, is it from the exhaust (centre) of the the prop or around the side?

If autolube and it's oil out from the exhaust I suspect you may have an oil pump problem which is why it wont start, I suspect that the plugs would be covered in the oil.

You can run the engine if you empty the oil tank and mix the oil with the petrol, normal mix is 50:1 but some run on 100:1, would need serial number/year to confirm.

Give me a call if you need a hand

Dave

cool.gif

Sorry guys, I didnt get to the boat. Thinking about it, it is most likely fuel lealing out. I just presumed it was oil as it was dark, but as its a strong 2 stroke mix, the fuel would also be pretty much black.

The leak looked like it was coming from the side of the prop unsure.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I had someone come and look at the engine, but he said that we had run the fuel/oil mix wrong. My paper work says 20:1 and i have used this ratio since I had the boat. He said that the type of engine I have should be ran at 50 for x amount of hours when new then changed to 100:1. I drained the carb, then put through a 100:1 mix and it started first time biggrin.gif . I cut the engine and then the thing wouldn't start again. It briefly fires then dies. There is thick oil/fuel comming from the middle of the prop.

Its 2 cylinder and its a 94 model

Any thoughts chaps?

My first action would be to check the carbs, sounds like they're flooding and you're pumping neat fuel into the exhaust.

Pay particular attention to the float chamber inlet needle valves.

If they're flooding it would account for it starting when cold, but not restarting after it had warmed up.

Edited by Brian

I suspect that there is oil residue left in the tank, carbs and fuel pipework.

Suggest a good clean out with fresh neat petrol and re-assemble.

I think the main problem is oil in the running jets so the carbs need most attention.

Dave

cool.gif

Me again......Ive done as says and i think the problem is fixed......but I think I've created another......I can't seem to get enough petrol into the float chamber. It only half fills and the bulb won't go hard. on the one occasion I did manage to get some fuel into the chamber, it never made it to the carb. Only by pouring a bit of fuel into the carb does it start. Argh!!!!!

Hi Dan

Use the KISS system (Keep It Simple Stupid)

1/ Connect fuel line to tank, will the prime bulb pump hard?

If Yes go to 2 if no suspect tank pick up pipe or non-return valve in prime pump

2/ If you push the ball inwards on the fuel line connect that connects to the engine do you get fuel come out?

If yes go to 3, if no go back to 1 and try again

3/ Remove fuel filter and check if clear

if yes go to 4, if no clean it out & make sure fuel reaches filter.

4/ Disconnet fuel line from fuel pump on engine to carbs, do you get fuel through?

If yes go to 5, if no suspect problem with fuel pump or/and fuel line blockage. Clean and try 4 again

5/ If pumping fuel to carbs suspect fuel shut off valve via float is incorrectly set or blocked

Remove carbs and thoroughly clean out carbs, fuel valve and check settings for fuel shut off height. You will need a manual for this info.

By now you should have fuel getting through to the carbs using hand prime bulb, you could try disconnecting plug leads so the engine will not start or use dead-man lanyard/switch and try to start engine with fuel line from engine pump to carbs disconnected. When trying to start engine the fuel pump should pump fuel out of the fuel line. If not you may have a problem with the diaphragm in the pump or it is just knackered.

Hope the above helps.

Dave

unsure.gif

Edited by Coddy

I understand that once there is a column of fuel the drop in pressure caused by the piston on suck phase is enough to keep fuel flowing through carbs and jets even if pump is knackered on many outboards.

I have three filters in my fuel line. One on outlet of tank, one inline with replaceable filter element in fuel line and one disposable filter near carbs. When I was experiencing loss of power in the spring it was actually the third filter that was blocked so how the crud had got there is anyone's guess. Engine ran like new after replacement. Also find with my older 2 stroke that new plugs every six months work wonders.

Petesnr