Sheared Studs

Coddy

Hi all

As some of you know, I have been rebuilding a Yamaha 40HP 2-stroke outboard for some time. During the dismantling I sheared a number of bolts due to corrosion and salt build up.

Now stainless steel bolts and aluminium do not go well together and after a number of years they tend to corrode. The steering clamp on my outboard had a broken bolt left in the housing and I tried to drill out the broken part but was not successful and even Brian, of Megabyte fame, could not get this out.

I went to a friendly engineering company to see if they could help and they suggested I try Multispark. Not knowing about this process I went along and the guys there explained they can spark erode the old broken bolt out of the hole without damage to the thread.

2 hours later I collected the part and it was if there had never been a broken bolt in the hole. biggrin.gif

All I had to do was run a tap down the thread to make sure it was clean and that was it!

They did advise me that should it happen again, DO NOT try to drill it out as leaving as is makes it easier for them to remove.

If you have a similar problem I can recommend these guys at:

Multispark Erosion Ltd,

Dawkins Business Centre,

Dawkins Road,

Hamworthy

BH15 4JY

Tele 01202 668989

Email dave@multispark.co.uk

Contact Dave Sheldon

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy