Thumbs up for the animal RIB

lofty

Took the t13 out for a paddle today and fed the crabs in the harbour. Bloody weed and dirty water driving me nuts so went for a trip to the end of the training bank.The sea was getting pretty lumpy and I wanted to get back in the harbour before the tide turned.

Saw some kayakers in the distance by the start of the bank at the end of shell bay. Now I was digging in and making slow but sure progress as anyone who was out this afternoon will tell you the bay didnt want to play,and I caught up with them after 10 mins hard paddling.

Unbelievable. A two man yak with two 12 yr olds and a single with the dad and a 6yr old on his lap.They were paddling just to stay still. They had come over from Sandbanks and couldnt get back. I offered to tow the boys to shore and the dad point blank refused help,insisting on trying for the other side of the bay.

I dropped off to watch them as I had my vhf,and after 5mins watching them get weaker I was just about to call the coastgaurd,finger on trigger, when a rib festooned with the animal logo and a handsome shaggy haired surfer type at the wheel ,turned back to them and assisted. He bundled them in and tied the yaks to the back,then towed them back to sandbanks.

If those boys had been taken by a big wave this bloke couldnt do athing as he had his daughter on his lap.

He should have known his limits,headed to the shell bay and gone over on the ferry.

I missed the slack and had to really dig in to get back into the harbour.

I had one big run like a rocket on a trolling lure by the training bank ,let it go and didnt strike(as Ive Read) and it came to nothing.

I guess the reason for this post is to say well done to the rib "dude"

Saved a call out to the RNLI

I think as kayaks become popular again there is going to be a lot more of this.

I always give a little wave to let passing boats know im in my comfort zone. I dont know about other craft but on a yak a patting your head gesture means come to me.

Heres hoping the wind packs it in soon.

Lofty out cool.gif

Hi Lofty

Well done in offering assistance and keeping an eye out for them. Good to see the rib skipper helping out as well.

Quote:- I always give a little wave to let passing boats know im in my comfort zone. I dont know about other craft but on a yak a patting your head gesture means come to me

I was not aware of this signal, will now keep a watchful eye on hand signals from yak owners, apart from the Victory sign! wink.gifwink.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Cheers. It's a whitewater signal,used on rapid river running,like Laurel and Hardy lifting a bowler hat,but a good way to communicate in rough conditions without a radio. I'm surprised it's not an international rescue signal because it's so easy and can't be confused like waving, unless you wear Bowler hats at sea. There are lots of other signals but this is a good one, although not much good if no one else knows. weep.gifcool.gif

As far as I know it's a military hand signal, which we were taught to mean 'On me' i.e. 'come to me'.

Not surprising really as I expect a lot of the forefathers of modern-day outdoor pursuits had a military background.

Like Lofty says, hand signals are useful as you can often see a them from a greater distance than a voice will travel, but they are limited to about 300-400m after which you can confuse one hand signal for another. (Remember that old late-night public service coastguard advert? "Oh look, he's waving!")

Kayaker hand signals- maybe a good club night topic?

Well done Lofty, and well done shaggy haired surfer animal dude!

Well done Lofty for offering help and advice, shame the father was not willing to take it.

also good to hear that another mariner came to assistance.

As Charlie says the come to me signal is well used in the military, but usually gets you a blank look in civilian use.

biggrin.gif