Green Paper Alderney Fishing

Coddy

Dave,

As, I believe, many others here I responded to the original consultation document.

I saw this green paper as well balanced overall, and can't see it having any real impact on our sport fishing, whether by own boat or charter vessel. Whilst it would appear to have a possible impact on local boat angling the majority of 'landed catch' from within the proposed limits is bass - which is outwith the remit of the paper (for reasons I don't understand!)

The key impact is to ban beam trawling and restrict the activity of larger commercial fishing vessels within this area - which does include the top of the SW Casquets bank but not the majority of it! Guess everyone will start fishing there in the future - and move down the bank when they have 2 fish!

As to 'over here' - more focus on easy targets like anchoring in Studland and Alum Bays than the activities of beam trawlers, or netters...although in fairness a ban on beam trawling in Studland Bay would seem to be part of the (as yet undisclosed) plans laugh.gif

Hi Duncan

It is proposed to introduce a ban on all trawling within (I think) 6 miles from the shore around Southern Sea Fisheries catchment area, however I may have got it wrong and it could have been 3 miles but will look it up if needed, but either way there will be a ban on ALL trawling which has got to be a good thing for all. This is proposed to be introduced in 2012/13

Dave

cool.gif

that's an interesting development; be a good start to see trawling in Poole Harbour cease! wasn't aware of any of these developments, either they aren't so public as the Alderney and Guernsey ones have been or I have simply missed them.

my earlier comment re Studland related to other 'efforts' - nuff said.

such a trawling ban over even 3 miles would be a huge step here given certain fisheries; but the impact on the wider fisheries should be very positive in time.