Cod Fishing - Hooklength

djredrupp

As I don't particularly care whether I land conger or not when I'm cod fishing, I use 35/40lb Amnesia. Having said that, we've had about 8 conger up to about 40lb this cod season and got them all to the side of the boat, which is plenty close enough. Hook length I make about 2 - 2

Edited by plaicemat

I had 2 conger bite through 50lb mono last week so upped the anti and put up a sliding pennel on 130lb Maxima . That stopped em biting through, but not convinced it helps with presentation if the cod are picky........

Lengthwise, about 3 ft seems to do the trick and the extra length helps with presenting on stiffer/thicker line.

Gordon blink.gif

dan, 3ft hook length maximum as you need the bait nailed to the deck. it also doesnt get in the way when casting, and also helps avoid snagging other lines especially when on a charter. i use 100lb mono if theres a few about, as you will land 90% of fish on it with only minimal bite offs.....if targeting them spefically, then step it up a bit. if your certain theres no eels, then 4olb is perfectl as it helps with presentation rolleyes.gif