Perfect day in Poole Harbour

Zzippy

At the beginning of last week I put a lets meet post up thinking someone else might have the day off work to come along.I didn't realize so many people would skive off ;D.It was good to meet new faces and old.

I had set my alarm for 5.45am thinking I had better get there first.

Got to Evening Hill at around 6.40am to find Ben,Ken and Richard were already there.Ben had been to McDonald's had his breakfast and now had a rod in the water trying for a flounder ;D

Clive,Si and Mike soon followed.After the introductions and the setting up we eventually got on the water at about 7.30ish.

user posted image

A short 5 minute paddle out and we were at our chosen mark.I found the going very slow.Si and Ken were the first to catch.I think they had a couple of plaice each before Ben was in.Mike had a lone mackerel and a flounder leaving myself Clive and Richard with nothing at all.

The last time I went out a few weeks back exactly the same happened.I blanked and everybody else caught sad.gif

A few hours later Jim turned up.I didn't recognize him at first but was a face I hadn't seen since my Shore fishing comp days.We had a natter for a while and in that time Jim had managed to catch a Plaice and a small smooth hound.

The boat traffic was minimal unlike the summer months which was good really as we were fishing the edge of the main shipping channel.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It was getting towards lunchtime and I hadn't had one fish.Just a missed bite or 2 and that was it.Clive had decided to call it a day as he had to get back to Weymouth,I said I would try a couple more drifts then head back in myself.

No sooner had clive got back to shore and I had my first fish smile.gif

Only small but still a fish, which would save another blank.

user posted image

Now the tide had started to ebb and thought the fish should be feeding soon.I wasn't wrong either.I managed 2 plaice on the first drift followed by a 3rd on the second drift.A few decent fish were dropped on the way up.Now Richard who also hadn't caught as of yet was soon in.PHEW than god everybody had something.Some more than others(mentioning no names Si) ;D

The final Tally for the day was around 20 plaice,Gurnard,Mackerel,Smooth hound,Bass and Flounder.That was between 8 kayaks.

Eventually called it a day around 3.30pm.

Had an excellent day out on the water and with good company.I think a few were a bit nervous as they hadn't been out much and didn't know what to expect from us.But they soon saw we were just plain old mad Kayakers ;D ;D

Here is my final catch which is dinner for the 3 of us tonight smile.gif

user posted image

And man of the day Si who had about 6 Plaice with a few nice sized ones

user posted image

Thanks for turning up and making and excellent day out lads.More to come soon wink.gif

Great report and pictures Mark

Looks like you guys should be fishing the flatfish/Ray comp on Sunday

It would be good to see a few enter as this is one of our comps that gives you a chance to compete for a trophy

well done all

Charlie

Thanks for the kind comments lads.

Charlie.I would love to have fished the comp on Sunday,but I am on Days at work sad.gif Its a bit heptic for me with overtime at the moment,so yesterday was my only day off for the last few weeks.I am off again next Wed,Thursday and Friday.

Maybe Ben,Maver and Sprinter might fish it.Thats if Sprinter(Paul) is in the country.I know he was going to Texas (work) for a week.