VHF Radios

Afishionado

This (and others like it) is on offer at E-bay. The radios come from the USA and escape UK tax etc as they are sent as 'gifts'.

What I want to know is are they compatable with UK vhf reg's and all that ??

Mad Mike

SOLARA - VHF Marine Radio

Uniden 25 Watt Full-Featured VHF Marine Radio

This auction is for a black radio.

All UK, Canada, USA & International Marine Channels

Instant Channel 16

10 Weather Channels

Selectable 1Watt / 25Watt

High Visibility LED Display

Front Mounted Speaker For Improved Sound Quality

Transmit LED Indicator

Weather Resistant Housing

Weather Resistant Microphone

Weather Resistant Microphone Connector

Mike,

I think you will find that all radio transmitting equipment used in the UK has to be type approved and licensed by Ofcom (previously the Radiocommunications Agency) and will require a 'CE' mark/number... obviously visiting boats are exempt from this.

VHF radios intended for the US market will not be 'CE' marked.

Therefore, strictly speaking, it would be illegal to use it.

Cheers,

Alan

Mike,

I think you will find that all radio transmitting equipment used in the UK has to be type approved and licensed by Ofcom (previously the Radiocommunications Agency) and will require a 'CE' mark/number... obviously visiting boats are exempt from this.

Cheers,

Alan

Ah but will it work OK that's the thing?

I'll be damned if I will pay three times the price for the same thing with a sticker on it.

Mad (but not with me money) Mike

Yes Whippet is right, when I bought my Navman I enquired about usa model and was told they are incompatible with the uk/euro network as they use a slightly different range of frequency.

You can be prosecuted for using such equipment, same as not having a VHF licence, however, when I was out a few time, I'd notice boats with antennas but no licence displayed on their portside, so I suppose it is only illegal if you get caught.

The only situation I would think about getting an usa unit is for a handheld only use for channel 16 in an emergency, if the price is really dirt cheap.

Mike,

Cheers,

Alan

Ah but will it work OK that's the thing?

I'll be damned if I will pay three times the price for the same thing with a sticker on it.

Mad (but not with me money) Mike

From a quick search on the internet I would say that it will work fine... as far I can make out the frequencies for channels 1 - 88 are identical... as you might expect as craft travel the world.

What you wont have are the M1 & M2 channels... whatever they're for? wink.gif

Yes, it will work... as for the legality... when does anyone check? I don't think the lifeboat crew will check before rescueing you!! ohmy.gif

I believe some channels are different in the US but if the radio has the UK settings then you operational ones will work fine.

If it's non DSC then differences are going to be small.

They may well send as gift but if 'intercepted ' you will be liable for the import duty, VAT etc

Fitting it to your craft is, as said, illegal. Additionally the regulators have been pressuring eBay on these sales for a long time and are 'monitoring' events. Ebay continue to defend their actions vigorusly (non disclosure) but my guess is they will tighten up on the auctions of some items at some point as a compromise ans to avoid possibly more damaging legislation.

Re licences expect to see more fines/procecutions going forwards as Ofcom and the DTI etc establish the basis for them. The Communications Act that made the RCA part of Ofcom changed the way that they prosecute. The possibility of taking the case to Crown Court for simple unlicensed use has now gone, along with the unlimited fine and/or 12 mths in prison. At present a prosecution would take place through the Magistrates Court leaving a maximum fine of

Personally I see the VHF as one of the main pieces of safety kit on your vessel.

Really it is the ONLY contact you have back to land. Some days it is rather comforting to hear other users, the coastguard and the met office weather over the radio - it reminds me that help is only a button away.

Bob F has an old, dodgy unit and has terible problems transmitting (sorry bob!) IMHO I would try and make the cost saving elsewhere and buy a new, UK, legal, fully functioning unit. The Navman DSC can now be found for under

I have the navman and it's great, only problem is not been able to connect my gps to the dsc.

Sent an email to Seanark(?) who I bought the radio from, they were very helpful, they got in touch with Navman and got me a wiring diagram to hook up the 2 units, unfortunately it still doesn't work sad.gif . Maybe I will upgrade the gps in future to a navman gps/chartplotter and use the dedicated plug.

Mike,

The USA models will work fine over here but they are illegal as they are not type approved.

However, I have in my possession the old radio from Neo which needs is a clean up of the connector and a mounting bracket and voila a legal ( albeit tatty ) VHF radio. You sort out the gelcoat chip on the front of the boat and it's all yours smile.gif

AND - just looked at the item bookmarked on E-Bay and that is the EXACT model mine is ( but not as rusty smile.gif )

Mike,

The USA models will work fine over here but they are illegal as they are not type approved.

However, I have in my possession the old radio from Neo which needs is a clean up of the connector and a mounting bracket and voila a legal ( albeit tatty ) VHF radio. You sort out the gelcoat chip on the front of the boat and it's all yours smile.gif

AND - just looked at the item bookmarked on E-Bay and that is the EXACT model mine is ( but not as rusty smile.gif )

You gotta deal Paul biggrin.gif

Can you let me know when I can come down and do the do on the boat? I can generaly manage mid week days.

Mad Mike

Happy endings.......ah rolleyes.gif

and I agree completely with Adam.

re wiring a DSC radio to the GPS this shouldn't be any problem at all but you may have to setup up the interface from the GPS in software. Go into menu and it may have a choice of NMEA in / out (some older ones only have one connection) make sure it's out and, if choices, play around with the settingds/message until the radio is happy!