BW engine run-in

Adam F

Just wondering, are all propellers have same fitting or do they vary from different brands?

Although spme brands have some interchangeably prop fittings it is certainly not universal. The things to consider are......

The number of splines

The diameter of the prop shaft

The spacing of the prop' on the hub

and whether the prop outer hub is concentric with the gearbox housing.

On other words you gotta try any prop on your engine to see if it really does fit proper loike me deario.

Mad Mike

Bob - I would not expect there to be any difference in the prop size between alloy and stainless for a 60 hp. Up at 200 you might just maybe be in a situation where the flex in the alloy blades is sufficient to be giving you effectively a lower pitch and therefore you might go a size lower in stainless but you would have to be borderline on the alloy size in the first place I feel.

Given the choices between 3, 4 and 5 bladed props let alone materials and sizes I would always go into a prop purchase with swap options - for a trailer boat this is pretty straightforward 'cos you can swap them around and purchase the correct one. IMHO they are the most underrated item on the boat (possibly ranking with anchors except with fishermen) as simply being ignored. engine manufacturers have to produce compromises because they just don't know what boat / use you want and boat manufacturers insist on 3 blades as they deliver maximum hull speeds.

If money was no object I would suspect that a four blade stainless would be the best prop for Adam, but pound for pound I would go for a 'cheap' stainless 3 blade from someone who allowed me to try a couple of sizes and select the one that ran best.

Yes the Honda 50 hp is carbs. There is no problem with cold starting as it usually fires and idles as smooth as a dream straight away from cold every time providing the bulb is primed well.

Just takes a little warming up before off, but has that blip/flat spot if given too much throttle from either warm or cold and can sometimes if too harsh, cut out.

Re stainless props: If you do frequent trail aways I would avoid them. If there is risk of unknown sea bottoms then you could well damage the gearbox shaft or casing if you bottom out. An alloy prop can be considered a type of fail safe, it will bend and break usually before the gearbox internals, usually around the