Reports in The Paper

great white

Following the excitement of last weeks Conger Trip Daniel was keen to get his picture in the local Paper.

I contacted Chris Clark and emailed him photo's

I have had a message from Chris saying that the report may get in but the photo will not because the fish was being held on the gaff. The animal rights people would be up in arms.

The fish had been gaffed carefully in the lower jaw to get it onboard and to take photo's, after weighing it went back and swam off without hesitation.

Its a shame about the photo and the Paper.

If I had smacked the fish on the head Daniel could have posed with it.

He did not like the one with the fish in the net on the scales as you could not see the fish well enough.

I had no intention of killing it for a photo and surprisingly Dan did not fancy trying to lift 55lb of stroppy and slimy eel either.

Just thought I would pass this info on because I am sure some of the Magazines share this worry about the animal rights people.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Duncan

U are right its a digipic so I could hve touched it up to remove the gaff, but where would the touching up end???? wink.gif

To be honest after yesterdays vote in the commons we should be keeping an eye over our shoulders for the anti blood sport people.

It did not cross my mind when I took the photo's, i wanted to take them quickly and put the fish back. And I thought that was the best way for Dan to hold the fish.

He is a game lad and would have tried to hold it for a photo but I am sure his Mum would not have been keen, and she had the camera.

At least he got a mention in yesterdays Paper, its a shame they took out the Clubs name from the report.

Have a look under members fish photo's for Sam and Daniel I think you will find it there.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It won't surprise me, if they start on fishing once they finished with hunting ..... unsure.gif . Historically, fishing and hunting always go hand in hand.

Originally we thought we were safe since fish don't feel pain and therefore it's not cruel as we are not hurting them, but I read it somewhere that there are studies which show fish do feel pain blink.gif

Just pry the cabbage chumping do-gooders start on msomething else before fishing.

BTW saw an excellent car sticker today,

Safe a cow today, eat a vegetarian instead.......

cool.gif

Charlie..............have you considered one of those "Big Game Lip Grabs" that Rapala or Berkley supply. Having used one for the past couple of weeks in Florida, I was very surprised how good their grip was, all the boat skippers use them for fish with regular mouths............not catching a Billfish, I dont know how they would work on them! Every paper on the market out there shows anglers showing their catch to the camera supported by one of these.

I think they retail at about

I usually net all my fish even the big congers and Tope but on this occasion and for the first time in about 2 years I thought a carefully lip gaffing was in order.

Daniel brought it to the boat with great effort and skill but getting it far enough forward to get the net behind it would have been very hard for him.

The fish went back fine with a clean hole in its lower lip [ my gaff is stainless so there is no rust to worry about] I am sure its OK.

The point is I suppose if we want to get pictures in papers we need to make them look as if the fish are not suffering.

I think the pictures may get in to the Angling mags, these mags are aimed at like minded individuals who will read that the fish was returned alive and will not write in to complain.

Perhaps the Anti's will find another target and not us, lets hope so

Charlie biggrin.gif

Any Young lady who wants the job of holding up something big for the camera apply here..................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Charlie biggrin.gif