mercury 50hp 4 stroke 1997

eggie

Hi there,ive got my outboard in the marina workshop at the mo coz of this problem.

the engine starts after a few goes of firing and dying but with the idle up a tad it will eventualy run sweet,then drop it back to idle its ok,

pop it into gear it cuts out instantly

restarts in neutral agian no probs

put in gear again forward or reverse it cuts out

this is when its in the water,i havnt tried putting it in gear out of water?

ive had the carbs cleaned,and seems no differant

any ideas guys

or know someone i can speak to

regards

mark

Probably no use, But I had the same thing with an old Marina 40.

The kill button was missing when I bought it, so I wired in a kill switch by the helm.

The vibrations of the engine had worn the insulation on the lead and was shorting out.

It did not affect it too much at speed because the contact was being made and broken.

When in neutral, the engine sits in a different position and does not make the connection.

When in gear, the engine casing moves and sits in the damaged insulation.

I hope this makes sense. If you have a remote kill cord, check the lead.

Jim

Mark,

the problem is that there are just so many possible issues that it's impossible to diagnose accurately from the info given

for example

there could be a gearbox problem (ie when put in gear the engine produces normal power but the gearbox is semi seized so it stalls

as above but related to the propshaft

above OK but the engine lacks power -

carburation most likely here unless it's worse when the engine is hot when it could indicate plug insulating breaking down (less likely on a multi cylinder unit)

bent crank

failed rings

idle set too slow

these are more to indicate the range of possible issues than provide likely solutions

my starting point would be to increase the idle after checking the prop shaft is nice a free.

Mark

What rpm does it idle at? If it's too low, the extra load will cause it to stall.

I don't know about the Mariner, but engines I've had need the idle speed set afloat and in gear.

Edited by Brian

• 2 weeks later...