Aux bracket fitted

Paul D

Have fitted the bracket for the aux motor now.

Now I am pondering if I could leave it in its "running" position ( half down ) and tilt the aux back. ( It seems to me it will be hard to lower when at sea ).

Also I need to put some sealent aroudn the lower bolts at least as I think they are only just above the water line and I wouldn't want water leaking in would I !!

Have 4 bolts holding bracket on - I assume this is enough ?

Any tips.

Paul doubtingly says..........Also I need to put some sealent aroudn the lower bolts at least as I think they are only just above the water line and I wouldn't want water leaking in would I !!

Some how this does not fill me with confidence for Sunday ohmy.gif I can see me sitting on the bow roller trying to keep Neo's arse up above the leaking line. unsure.gif

I s'pose its a way of keepng live sandeels though.......... A foot of water in the bilges? sad.gif

Mad Mike

You'll have to experiment with the various positions. Mine rests about 2 knotches up. The engine drags through the water when off the plane but is clear when on the plane.

Actually, it would have been better to put sealant in the holes when you were inserting the bolts to give a better seal.

Bob F.

Paul,

BW has her bracket on the highest notch. The engine is then tilted back and clipped up on the notch - this means no matter how fast or slow Im travelling the aux. is always clear. As for lowering it at sea, it is a little tricky, but not too bad once youve had a little practise - on a clam day, not when your arse end into a SW F5 swell!!!

One final tip. I have fitted a baby rachet strap around the engine and back around the nearest cleat / fairlead and pull tight. This stops the engine from bounching around too much and takes the strain off the bracket on both the engine and the bracket itself.

Adam

As for sealant.

When I was last in Select Marine - I asked Tony what he uses as sealant - proper 'Marine' grade or DIY / Builders stuff.

He said that he uses just a decent brand builders silicone, but it MUST be the HIGH MODULUS stuff. I think most frame and window seals are this.

We sell Dow Corning 785 at work, which is a high modulus - a tube of clear to me at staff rates is just 85p - a lot cheaper than the stuff chandlers sell!

As for sealant.

When I was last in Select Marine - I asked Tony what he uses as sealant - proper 'Marine' grade or DIY / Builders stuff.

He said that he uses just a decent brand builders silicone, but it MUST be the HIGH MODULUS stuff. I think most frame and window seals are this.

We sell Dow Corning 785 at work, which is a high modulus - a tube of clear to me at staff rates is just 85p - a lot cheaper than the stuff chandlers sell!

That Dow-Corning stuff IMO is the best stuff out there. It has incredable adhesion qualities too.

Adam if I can have a couple of tubes at that price I will have them please.

Mad Mike