Setting up a MMSI number

Leicester Fisheagle

Given the relatively decent dry weather over the last few days much work has been done on Fisheagle in anticipation of the bream and other summer species. One thing has been coming to terrms with my GPSMAP Garmin 178C and installing my MMSI number for emergency use. I have been into the menu and the DSC section and have no problem getting into the section that stores any calls received and allows me to plot them on my map or automatically set a course to their position should I wish. There is also an area that allows me to store other peoples details. However, I am unsure about putting in my own MMSI number. Does it go into one of the above files or am I missing something obvious? It would be usefull to have the emergency channel 70 feature up and running even though I hope I never need it. The Radio is interfaced and I have printed off what information I can find on the Garmin web site. Any help that can be given would be apreciated.

Many thanks. the radio-Icom M421 was installed on the boat when I got it. No MMSI number has been installed and I did not have the manual so I have printed off the Manual from the Icom site which seems to fit the bill. Will try it out later today. I had a feeling that this was going to be one of those postings I wish I hadn't made that make you feel a right idiot to put it bluntly. Still I did get a solution so if you don't ask you don't get.

Allan.

I entered the MMSI number into an Icom M421 today for Derek (Sea Sparkle), it was very straightforward. Follow the instructions on page 14 of the manual.

DOUBLE CHECK that you've got the number correct before you press ENTER to store it.

Edited by Brian