Crab pots

Bob F

Do you need a license to put down a crab pot?

Are there areas where only licensed potters can set their pots?

Can I lay a pot in the viscinity of other pots?

Is there a minimum size of bouy that is used to mark a pot or any identifying feature that tells you that it is a pot bouy?

Bob F.

Do you need a license to put down a crab pot?

Are there areas where only licensed potters can set their pots?

Can I lay a pot in the viscinity of other pots?

Is there a minimum size of bouy that is used to mark a pot or any identifying feature that tells you that it is a pot bouy?

Bob F.

No you dont need a licence. The areas fished by commercial fishermen are deemed by custom to be 'theirs' and they can get pretty shitty with anyone potting in 'their' area. However officialy it's an open sea. What you will find is that if left more than a few hours your pot will be stolen.

I used to fish a couple of pots years ago when I used to go out night fishing. I would drop on the way out and pick up on the way back. One idea is to fish the pots with a small float that only shows at low water. By doing this you reduce the window of opertunity for others to trash your pot.

All in all I found it a bit of a waste of time. However if you make slightly smaller pots with a fine mesh and fish them closer inshore in the Old Harry area there are some cracking prawns. Same thing applies to that little area in Portland near the old navy base where there is a section of Mulberry harbour in about 16ft of water.

Mad Mike

Thinking about it Bob what do you want to catch eating crabs or bait? For recreational use what about a drop net fished from the boat at dead water times. Baited with whatever you'll get hermits, whelks, crabs, all sorts. I used an old cycle wheel with a baggy net so on the retrieve is sorta had sides. the weight was supplied by setting the meshed up net into four equaly spaced dollops of wet cement. Bit Heath Robinson but it worked. Sash weights work too but have them spaced evenly.

Mad Mike

Down in Devon and Somerset and I guess elsewhere they make 'homes' for peeler crab.

You need a section of forshore that is either private or you can visit daily and some clay ridge tiles. The tiles are placed to make tent like little caves at the mid tide mark. Lifted every day or so the peelers that have settled there are collected and sold to tackle shops nationwide. The beaches and estuaries where this is done commercialy are seriously guarded by large men and big dogs. unsure.gif

But I'm thinking that bit of forshore between Mitchells and PYC could be utilised? We have a large (tall) bloke near by. But does he have a dog? biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

Yeh, you'd think Charlie would keep his fellow club members with a constant supply of lovely peelers. He just needs to go out each day during his breaks to tend the garden on tiles. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

He's a nice man...a very, very nice man...a very, very, very, very nice man. cool.gif

Name withheld... ph34r.gif

Bob, there is a limit on the number of pots that you can lawfully fish without a commercial licence.........I think its about 8 or so, and on the crab trap front, like Martin says, old tyres work well. Cut them into sections, 1/4's, and half bury them, but check em regular, peeps will steal yer peelers as sure as eggs is eggs!!!!

If you want to bait for prawns, a prawn Gin, or trap, baited with smashed hardback crabs will catch shrimps/prawns. If you bait with fish, you will get more crab than shrimp. In a former life, us Swains were shrimp and Prawn fishers down in Hastings. I'll mail you over a line drawing of a prawn gin, and if I'm really feeling magnaminous, I'll teach you to knit nets.

Regards, Rich