Triggers.........

alun j.

Had a very enjoyable morning on the Ledge ........ partly due to the lovely weather [ could summer be staging a swansong ?? ], and partly due to tangling with some brutish visitors [ ie. these increasingly common triggers ]. .......... this I don't mind ...... and , on reviewing previous comments, will add that these fish do go some !!

Between the hordes of little bream....... that rob most baits in a minute or two ..... you will get a few good runs ...... sometimes a bigger , takeable bream [ a few two to three pounders ] or one of these feisty triggers [ fight like bream but pull like rays !!]; I got 4 this morning. two of them were between 3 and 3 1/4 lbs. [my biggest yet!] ........ heard of one of over 5 lbs. taken recently...... how big do they go ?? ....... shame they don't eat dogfish........ though with those jaws they'd be able to munch through most things...... even dogfish sandpaper skin ??

{ too much wishfull thinking}

Finished the morning with a nice , fighting bass [ about 3 lbs.] and returned for lunch as that sea breeze got up !!

In all, a good end to the summer holiday....... but hope to be back out on the weekend !!

Tight lines,

Alun.

Bob,

Good luck tomorrow....... looks like the weather could be perfect... will happily swap a trigger for a sole !!

If you remember ..... could you nudge Adam to PM those GPS nunbers to me; I'd like to give it a go again on the weekend ......... Sat looks as if it might be calm and settled.

Tight lines,

Alun.

Just had one for dinner this evening ....... absolutely gorgeous !!!!!! ; yep..... better than bass ...... firm sweet and white [ bit remeniscent of perch .... both should be on the fishmongers' slab ].

Anyone want to see one over three pounds .......... I've still got two in my 'fridge till tomorrow , when they'll get filleted ......[ that's the tough bit !!].

If I can repeat the question ........ how big do they get??...... have heard over 5 lbs.

Have rapidly become a trigger convert.......... a combination of bass and triggers would be result of perfect day out !!

Alun.

Must try again soon; I think there could be quite a few as I got my four in about an hour...... or perhaps they go around in groups. A boat nearby had ten the previous day [ don't know what size though ].

I think they like ...... rough ground, a bit of tide [ incoming...... running east], and some sunshine [ don't we all ] ........ and I think they move about a lot...... stay put near the ledge for a couple of hours and let them come to you.

But....... I could be completely wrong !! ...... isn't fishing great like this!!..... the mixture of hope and expectation ........... then surprise when it's all different !!

Cheers,

Alun.

if anyone is interestd the dogs wotsits of a bait for triggers is peeler crab they absolutly love it, used to catch a lot from the beach, weymouth end of chesil on a small wreck about 120 yds from shore. you can sometimes catch them also from under the lookout station at hengistbury head not all that far from shore!!!!

Hey now,

Following up a missed thread about PBSBAC membership and club records - Dont you get too worried, maybe you wouldnt want another in the club anyway - Alun's the jammiest fisher I know - never comes back without a fishbox full !

I'm just worried everytime Aluns been out on the ledge, that there's nothing left for me!

I always enjoy hearing about whats been caught on the forum, member or not, as you say, it helps to influence trip planning, and what to target.

Regards

Paul