last wednesday

Fail'o

After getting really fed up with the weather and not being able to get down to the coast to sample some of the cod fishing some of you guys have been experiencing I had the opportunity to go wednesday as work was called off. The roads were too bad to chance it all the way to Poole towing the little Linnet so I opted for a local trout water instead and wet the dusty fly line. When I arrived I noticed my tyre was flat so had to contend with replacing that first , begining to wish I stayed at home!!. Anyway job done so off I plodded to a half frozen lake and after the 4th cast was rewarded with this beast of 12 lb 6oz , managed another later of 10 lb 9oz so ended up quite a good day after all considering the weather.

If all goes well and weather plays ball hope to get down early on sunday for one or two flounder in Poole harbour , can anyone tell me the best methods as I have never really fished for them before , any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Send pic when i figure out how to.

post-165-1263674451jpg

Edited by Paul D

Beautiful fish .......some local trout lake.....my fish usually range between 2 and 4 lb.....what was your rig, fly and line ??

Re the flatties....

With the light running rigs mentioned above I used to use a small "spoon" to stir the mud just up from the hook....and a few bright beads at the hook to attract. Some use the one up, one down rig too.......a light running rig with one snood set above the lead as well as the one below the lead.

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks guys for all the tips and methods used on the flatties, think all that info should put a few fish in the boat.

Big thanks to paul for sortin pic out for me, ta mate.

Pirky the line i always use is floating WF7 with a 3mtr leader of 5lb strenghth.

The fly which has never let me down for the last 10 years and it has worked on every water i have fished is a size 8 Zonker hot tail, they come in black, olive and white. black is usally best . if you would like to try a couple i could always send you some.

Once again thaks everyone for all help.

Thanks guys for all the tips and methods used on the flatties, think all that info should put a few fish in the boat.

Big thanks to paul for sortin pic out for me, ta mate.

Pirky the line i always use is floating WF7 with a 3mtr leader of 5lb strenghth.

The fly which has never let me down for the last 10 years and it has worked on every water i have fished is a size 8 Zonker hot tail, they come in black, olive and white. black is usally best . if you would like to try a couple i could always send you some.

Once again thaks everyone for all help.

Ta For that .....always nice to hear what others do.....I will try a Zonker sometime ......not sure I have one in my box but will get a couple next time I am in R T ..

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif