Wheel bearings

Leicester Fisheagle

Has anyone had any experience of bearing savers on unbreaked trailors? I understand they need to be regreased after every use. I've seen them used in fresh water but would they be any good in the sea?. Allan. blink.gif

Allan,

I assume you are talking about what I know as "Bearing Buddies".

I have them on my trailer... No, they don't need re-greasing after every trip and Yes, they are fine for use in sea water. When I bought my boat they were standard spec on trailers supplied by Warrior.

Whilst they shouldn't be used to replace a proper maitenance schedule... I have to admit that my trailer has been rather neglected over the 6 years I've had it - for a combination of reasons that I wont go into now!

However, it still has the original wheel bearings and on stripping the hubs down earlier in the year, they still look fine, with no pitting or scratching.

This is my first boat, so I've not used a trailer without them but I would definitely make sure any future boat trailer had them.

Alan

Bearing savers are a boon for either braked or unbraked trailers.

In my experience, the grease remains in place behind the seals without regreasing after each trip. I remove them every 6 months when I check the bearings and brakes, and then refit with new grease.

You do need to apply grease around the nipples to stop them rusting up, though.

Make sure you use the waterproof grease (looks cream coloured, like barrier cream). Ordinary grease will wash out.

Bob F.

Thanks for that one. If the boat I'm after comes my way, i'll seriously consider fitting them when the trailor bearings need replacing. I have a contact in the Backpool Club who has a Warrior and he knows the people who make the boats so i'll get in touch with him for more details and who makes them. rolleyes.gif Allan.

I'm a little confused, are bearing savers original equipment or can they be retro-fit?

Retro fit Kam. They are sorta like a spring loaded diaphrm you fill with grease. The idea is that they keep a gentle posative pressure within the hub so as to stope water seeping in when you launch.

Mad Mike

PS how's the boat coming on?

Her name is Sweet Honey cool.gif [Luckily we don't have to use boat name as handle in here....]

Her maiden voyage will probably be in a few weeks time, as I have a trade fair next weekend and I have to go up to Glasgow on the 2 coming tuesday (which is mt normal day off).

Fancy a fishing trip out of Lymington?

Fancy a fishing trip out of Lymington?

Yes please rolleyes.gif

Sweet Money........ Reminds me of the days long ago when if one had 'thrupence' (three pennys) sweet money you could by half the bloody shop!

You wait Kam mate, as soon as you are ready to launch there will be six weeks of unrelenting wind and rain. It always happens. When yo can't go out the sun shines and when you can it thistledowns. biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

PS I've just re read this on the web page (with bigger print) and can now see she is called 'Sweet Honey' . so don't read the bit about long ago 'cos it's all rubbish now!

MOTHER! get me glasses will you blink.gif