Southbourne - Hengistbury Head 06/08/09

Overrun

A day off work, the weather not promising, with thundery showers a possibility, although the sea flat and winds light. Opted for an easy launch down at Southbourne. Very nice of the council to top-up the beach again, they've excelled themselves this time, none of that loose golden sand, a coarse grit and shingle, ideal for the trolley.

The day's target was a dozen Mackerel for the freezer, a couple of Bream for tea and a Trigger for the species list. Fishing very slow, no Mackerel until 40ft, usually they're closer in. 90 minutes and not so much as a bite. Anchored on my Trigger mark from a couple of years ago, nothing and no Bream either.

Continued drifting with the last of the flood towards Hengistbury Head and the Conger mark. Usually get a few Gurnard there, buoyed off on an old pot and at last some action. All niggling Bream bites, after seemingly endless strikes, connected with this one:

user posted image

Not really what I was after for tea, so back it went. Had a few more, mostly smaller, then moved on. Ran over a shoal of Mackerel and feathered 3 for bait before plodding on to the deep water just off the beginning of the Ledge. Put a half Mackerel out for Tope rolleyes.gif and settled down to fish for Bream and anything else. Mixed Squid, Mackerel & Rag on the mini-Hokkai, Rag/Squid has caught me the odd Trigger in the past. A continuous procession of small Bream came to the Yak. I'm always surprised at how hard these small Bream scrap. None were really tea sized, although a couple may have made a serving.

Lunch, and tried Mackerel sushi (caught earlier), must take some sauce and Wasabi next time, also remember not to prepare it with the Squid knife laugh.gif . The Bream kept coming, over HW stand hooked into something with a lot more fight. Great, decent Bream? But as it turned out, better than that:

user posted image

No more Triggers and as the ebb increased, the Bream were gone too. Weather was deteriorating with a slightly stronger wind off the land and ominous looking clouds to the south. Headed slowly back with the ebb and against the wind. Stopped off at Double Dykes, no Bream, an enormous Mackerel shoal totally confused the fishfinder into thinking the depth was 12ft instead of 40! Feathered up a dozen in short order. The wind dropped out, clouds to the south were raining and I observed a flash, followed by a rumble. Cue, get off the water!

Hit the beach as the rain began, all nicely rinsed on returning to the car. An enjoyable day out with a bonus Trigger, role on the weekend and chasing Hounds.

James

Well done James... and a good report. I saw you out there today... tied on one of Mr Potter's buoys...... whilst I was getting my mack livebaits in the tank.

Not sure whether you wanted a closer call\'Hello' ??

You've encouraged me to have a go for the triggers again ... soon...; they are such good scrappers!! I usually leave them until next month when there's less pin-bream-distraction !!

Looks like next week will bring us the weather we've been missing.

Alun.

RE: Mackie sushi, did you take the membrane off or did you skin the fillet?

If you eat it with the membrane it's very chewy, but if you take the skin off, it doesn't taste as nice with the skin on. Not sure how practical it is to take the membrane off on a bobbing boat but when you are at home try peeling the thin plasticky membrane off, it's a bit extra work but personally I think it's well worth it.