Now this is what I call stupid .....

Newboy

Went down to St Austell yesterday to look at the Bayliner.

It was a lovely boat, big enough to stay overnight out at sea, but still has a decent deck space, probably as big as Martin's 195, although in 2 level speperated by 6 inches.

Felt so in love with it, towed it around Par for about 5 miles with my Passat, struggle a bit on steep slope but managed ok. I was going to do a deal when he told me the price is very good for a 1600kg boat and a 300kg trailer.

That is 1900kg and my car's towable limit is only 1600kg!!!!!!!!

Had I bought it and try to tow it back to Hants, that would have been fuuny ..... or stupid unsure.gif

bet you wouldn't have had any problem at all providing you kept the trailer brakes in good working order and kept to around 50.

towed mine all around france and the UK with a Renault Espace 2 litre in blissfull ignorance. Kept trying to convince myself it was only 1600kgs light - then loaded it up for family self catering holidays..............!!!!

Rich your Hilux has a limit around 2800 - bit different.......

Agree with Bob in principle - you shouldn't knowingly drive outwith the legal limits. However there are so many technical regulations re trailers that it is exceedingly unlikly that anyone is actually fully compliant. I include in this everything from props to lights, mudguards to reflectors and brakes to vin plates............

My Dad was a professional photographer and used to take road accident photos for the Police.

Saw some VERY nasty accidents where people were towing tailers, caravans, boats, etc, that were much too heavy for the car. A heavy trailer can overpower a car and make it flip over under heavy braking or sudden changes in direction.

But on the brighter side it can be quite amusing watching the trailer overtake your car... ohmy.gifblink.gifbiggrin.gif