Outboard anything over 75hp considered

Newboy

I was hoping for something that along that line. Something not too old, around 5/6 years and well mainteained.

I didn't get the Bayliner, it was too big, I was seriously tempted tho!!!!! Over 45mph, inboard 5.0l omc.

I bought the Cormoran instead, I was budgeting 3k for a outboard, but the Cormoran is more or less bare. I will need to add lights, rodholders, anchors, rope, chains, batteries, wiring, fishfinder,gps, ..... list longer than my arm not to metion there's a small repair which need fabre glassing.

I'll also have to sell my old boat, it's money I don't have at the moment. At a stretch I may be able to come up with just over 2k, but not much more.

Anyone wants to buy a healthy kidney? weep.gif

Nice one Newboy!! I'm well pleased for you! - I think the Cormoron was the best option - quite jealous actually!! biggrin.gif

www.boats&outboards.co.uk is the best place to look - hundreds of engines are available - just a case of waiting.

I would say however that I would advise you to spend as much money as is possible on the engine - it probably is more critical than the actual boat itself.

Fibreglass rarely breaks - engines do. Seeing then running is a big advantage also.

Good luck! - Ill keep my eyes pealed!!

Fitting the boat out is also a huge task - BW came kitted out pretty good, but since I have spent a small fortune!...Im a way it is better I feel, at least this way you get what you want, where you want it, you get to fit it - so you know how it works when it breaks! etc, etc.

If you need a hand or any advice - just ask.

Nice one Kam. ere cause you gotta cormorant does that mean you will be poaching all the fish laugh.gif Seriously though I am well pleased for you.

Adams advice is good, the most important piece of kit on your boat is the engine, fingers crossed you get a goodun. When you do find one spend a bit of money with a marine engineer, get him to test the compression and all the main components it could be money well spent. If he gives you the thumbs up you might feel as if you have wasted your money but you will have that piece of mind that a proffesional has given it a clean bill of health. Thumbs down and of course it will have been money well spent saving you from a duffer.

Good luck matey

Martin

PS when you coming out fishing with us again or is Poole to far?

We are planning to go out next Tuesday with the kids, weather permiting.

Not sure when I will be out fishing properly again, I'll have to get the shetland ready for sale first.

Is there much difference between various make? Japs better than the Yanks?

Regarding compression test, if I'm purchasing an outboard from a proper marine firm, do I trust their test or do I get a different engineer to have a look?

P.S what does the compression test tell us?

what does the compression test tell us?

The burning petrol and air (explosion) in the cylinder that creates the power of the engine is dependant on several critical factors. One of which is that the mix of petro; vapour and air is highly compressed just fractions of a second before it is ignited by the sparkplug......... Each engine type from a given manufacturer has a standard 'compression rating' . For the sake of argument 125 lb per square inch at top dead center. (thats when the piston is at its highest in the cylinder.)

So if one knows that a Yamaha 80 should read say 125lb/sq in on each cylinder and the one you are looking at is only reading 80lb on one and 100lb one another we can be sure that this is a well worn engine in need of work (expensive too!). The problem is that the engine would run and you would not know about the problem without the compression test.

The equipment needed to test compression is simply a suitable pressure guage and plug hole connection. Any self respecting O/B mechanic will have one and know the respective pressure peramiters for most engines.

As for engine types I rate Yamahas as almost bullet proof. 4 strokes are economical but less powerfull for thier weight than two strokes.

Mad Mike

As for engine types I rate Yamahas as almost bullet proof. 4 strokes are economical but less powerfull for thier weight than two strokes.

Mad Mike

tongue.gif Very interesting about 4 and 2 strokes.

I was told a 75-4s on my boat will do 30knots (optimum conditions), so will a 75-2s do more or less than 30? Or it isn't as simple as 1+2?

Very often a advert will so, 'Just been refurbed' or 'powerhead overhauled', is it good or bad?

Thanks in advance, mike.

I was told a 75-4s on my boat will do 30knots (optimum conditions), so will a 75-2s do more or less than 30? Or it isn't as simple as 1+2?

Very often a advert will so, 'Just been refurbed' or 'powerhead overhauled', is it good or bad?

Boy do you ask some good questions biggrin.gif .........

OK so here goes .....75HP is 75HP but the weight of the engines may well be different and a heavier engine will absorb more of its own power to overcome its own weight. There are other factors too but to be honest it's not worth discussing them as one ends up with too much information that doesn't really matter.

Basicly 4st are quiet and smooth but a bit heavier than 2st.

2st are powerfull for their size and go like stink but use more fuel per hour than a 4st. For a fast hull IMO a 2st is best, but for a semi planeing or displacement hull a 4st is ideal.

The 'just overhauled' bit is IMO a bit of a risky proposition. Being a cynic I think that this means the old engine was running like a bag of snot and we've cobbled it together to sell it. However if you can see ALL the bills for the work and have the benifit of a skilled mechanics opinion then if the work has been carried out well that's great. Sometimes it is better to buy an engine very cheaply because of known faults, and then have it reconditioned by a professional yourself. This way you KNOW what's been done and you have recourse on the repair shop if it subsequently failed.

Mad Mike

PS when it's all together and floating you owe me a trip please rolleyes.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Mike,

So where do I rate on the "awkward question" scale. Or is it just plain awkward smile.gif

A good host and a great companion smile.gif

It's just the way you gloat when you catch bigger fish than me biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

That and the fact that I always seem to be at the winding end of the trailer when we recover?? I haven't quite figured out how it happens. Presnolallly I think you slip into another dimension just at the right time. One minute I am all alone with this bloody great handle and about half a dozen turns later you pop up from

the blunt end of the ship and tell me 'YOU'VE GOT IT CROOKED AGAIN!!'. blink.gif

Mad Mike