1 Cod....should have been 3

DommyBoy

Well after not being out on a boat for what must be 6months+ due to the new arrival this year, i finally managed a trip out with the old man as crew. Was suppose to meet at his at 5:30am.....bloody alarm.......6:20 I woke up and jumped outa bed in a mad panic. Eventually get to the folks at about 6:40 and the old man givin' it large about me being a lazy tart etc.....etc.....etc......!!!!

Anyway eventually got to mudeford slip about 7:30 and boat loaded and launched by 7:45, decided on our original plan X marks the spot biggrin.gif (thanks trev for the other mark, one for the future me thinks). A tad lumpier than expected at that time but a slow steady steam found us anchored and ready to go by about 8:15am. Out goes 2 rods each, 1 loaded with 4 large squid, and the other loaded with either single or double baits, about 8:30ish the chop dies to a steady swell but very comfortable.

Have brew and then the inevitable tap tap tap of the dogs but luckily they were being shy and not gutting the baits which left longer times between casts. Anyway, after an hour, and about 3-4 dogs later I have a clonker on the single bait, hit it and the rod arks over and starts stripping the spool of braid before the hook pulls after about 5 seconds, after saying every swear word in the dictionary I start rebaiting and at that instants my Dad's single squid bait rod rattles off, he hits into a solid fish which immediately takes braid and doubles the rod over, to make some space on deck I quickly chuck out the rod that i have just lost a fish on and rebaited so i can help the old fella, within 2 minutes that same rod smashes over in the rest and screams line off the spool, I hit it and we are now both into good fish.....then twang as the fish spits the hook and I lose yet another good fish. Well now I decide that I best help out my dad as his is nearing the surface (after about 10mins) and with that the plump gold fat bar of mr cod rears his ugly mug about 15yards down tide, well 1st scoop of the net and he's onboard and a lovely fish of a little over 12lb is in the fishbox for tea. Well after the customary coffee we rebait and recast for the last hour with a couple of dog's to finish up with. Back on the slipway for 10:45 and boat cleaned, fish filleted, and back home by 11:30.

Weird how the only 3 good bites all come within a 10 minute spell and then nothing except Dog's. More or less just as the tide started to ebb a tad quicker.....and all 3 bites on smaller baits.....on a mark I was really dubious about getting cod at all.......but to have potentially had 3 cod in little more than 2 hours fishing would have been fantastic but unfortunately was just the 1, and to my Dad for his 1st ever.

Dom

Excuse the dodgy pic taken on my shitie mobile which doesnt do the fish much justice....but check out the hat!!!!!!

post-4-1229988234jpg