Poole to lose another slipway

Afishionado

I read in the Echo that the free public slip next to the RNLI is to be stolen by the council and given to Ready Mix Concrete.

It seems strange that all the slips in Southampton are accessable and free, Lymington, Keyhaven, Christchurch all have good well designed slips yet Poole the UK's most popular boating area has one shallow public slip leading into a shallow muddy bay.

Mad Mike

I agree Mike

For a town that promotes itself on the back of the harbour/beaches and water sports it is among the most (imo the most) poorly served when it comes to allowing ordinary folk access to the water with their toys. Fine if your loaded and can afford to keep your boat in a marina but we are not all that well endowed

Martin

Sorry to disappoint but even if you are loaded it's not good!

Rockley has a good all tide slip but at the wrong end of the harbour, #15 a day and parking becoming a no no it's not perfect and thats before you consider how busy it's getting 'in season'. Still excellent winter launch though.

Cobbs dry berthing has a list longer than Adam's conger, and Poole Boat Park is facing an uncertain future due to proposed bridges etc

OK if you are seriously loaded, have a Sunseeker 37 or personal 105 you can pay 5k a year plus lifts etc for Salterns but at that money you can pesonally charter a boat for around 20 days a year!

Overall there seems to be an underlying move to reposition Poole as upmarket....as I think was raised in an earlier post. Personally I believe this to be a disaster

Thats why I use Christchurch!!!

On a more serious note..I agree, but once again, a loosing battle? What can we do?

I suppose, at least we can launch / moor (just about) as opposed to the poor chaps elsewhere who have to use the beach...thats a thought?..how would the council take to me launching BW off Bmth beach on a hot sunny Sat in Aug??

Almost all of the slipways (20+ if you include those in Gosport) in Soton are free (you pay for parking only), however, some are mud/gravel slips. The best slip is probably Hythe, concrete and not too steep slip, the only down side is it's a fare way out to open sea.