Conger 4 - BLue Warrior 1!

Adam F

Jimbo & I popped out to the ledge last night - dispite met office forecasts of cyclonic winds to F8 - it was a mere 2 when we got out there.

Mackerel were hard to find in the deeper water we usualy get them from - but back on the ledge we easily filled our bucket.

Off to a new mark, we thought we'd try the slightly deeper water. About an hour after starting I hooked a good eel, whilst it was almost light! - unfortunalty it broke my 50lb rubbing leader on the reef below.

1/2 hour later and I'm away again on the flapper rod. This was a real beast - it ha dmy 50lb Abu locke dover solid and was taking line with the lever drag to max. I managed to get him a little way up then my leader knot gave - must learn the Uni or the SIG!! mad.gif

Then Im away again - this time not like a conger fight - a nice huss reaches the surface - 9lb 4oz! New PB for me! - Well impressed with the fight!

About 11pm, Im off again - run no.4, got this one in, but a mere baby strap at about 15lb.

Jimbo finally hooks up about midnight, but the hook pulls.

We called it a night at 1pm, and had a safe run back home in strenghening winds.

'Twas a night of what could have been!

Ah the ones that get away are more memorable than some that are landed.

I expect that the spot will be re-visited soon.

Unfortunatly the work load and bad weather will stop any evenings out this week.

we will have to try next week.

Charlie

Hi Adam

I did not see any fishing lights on your boat, do you use anything or was it light enough to see without anything?

I have never tried night fishing but would love to give it a try so when (and if) the move ever happens can I twist your arm as crew one night to give it a try? rolleyes.gif

It would have to be fairly calm for me on the first trip I think! sick.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Coddy

In the interest of your safety I would advise that you get well used to the Boat, area and the slipway you chose to use before you venture out on a night trip.

Its a big step from daylight to night time boating in small boats and thats without all the fishing gear dry.gif , bait and a couple of stroppy congers thrown in while its dark and you are tired. unsure.gif

When you get down perhaps you would like to come out one evening and get a few tips before going the whloe way and taking your boat. I am sure someone else would join us. biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi coddy!

You are more than welcome matey, anytime. You are indeed correct, small boats and night fishing can be a potentialy dangerous combination, although with careful planning and a little common sense can also be very exciting and the fishing can be electric!!

I do have lights on the boat, they are just concealed!. I have 2x 12" flourcsent tubes in the cuddy, and I use the light from the anchor/steaming light - this combined with a head torch for baiting up, and a 1,000,000 candle power spot complete the lighting set-up.

I also usually wear a lifejacket at night, and make sure that I am well prepared in terms of all the safety kit.

The weather forecast is the final consideration - we only go out on a perfect forecast.

Bit too much to type here, when youre next down, well give it a bash!