Sun. ......headed West

alun j.

After weeks of postponements with bad weather, wasn't at all sure of the prospects for today after yesterday's continued blow.

So a 7 am. start at Kimmeridge looked ominous ..... heavy grey skies, cool breeze and unfriendly swell over unseen rocks !!

Always seeking a more comfortable fishing session , suggested the protection of Portland and after a long trip back to Wareham and around the coast , launched at Castletown into calm water.

Fished the Hood with usual results ...... mackeral and pollack ; but as the sea outside the harbour was getting flatter by the minute, motored across the bay to Ringstead where I had some nice rays last summer ........ but not today !!!... dogfish and more dogfish; a few more mackeral and one nice bass [ about 4 lbs.]; this was on whole mackeral...... but the same rig also caught dogfish !! first time I've caught doggies on whole 1/2 pound mackeral !!

Return / retrieve from Castletown [ lowish water] quite tricky with the sharp step at the end of the concrete ramp! This and the steepness, required mate's 4 x 4 to pull Warrior and similar out of the hardcore ......... was much easier last time in my little Orkney 440.

Weather cheered up enormosly.......could this be signs of summer returning??

Tight lines.

Alun.

Replies :

No, I don't have a new boat but my neighbour does.......... an Explorer Elite, very much like a Warrior 165, the covered 'cabin' area is a bit longer and not as tall; goes like a rocket with 60 hp. pushing it up on the plane.

We went out yesterday with a friend who does have a Warrior and knew the fishing at Kimmeridge.......but ended up at Portland...two boat fleet.

Castletown is free......but short, narrow and steep...ish!! , busy with divers [ who, in my limited experience, are friendly, polite and helpful !! eg. trailer handle smacked my neighbour friend on the nose / upper jaw as we launched [ due to steepness of slip [good name] and lack of experience ] , nosebleed, concusion and a dunk in the sea nearly ruled the trip out ...... divers must have included both doctors and nurses as poor Neil got more attention than if we'd taken him to Dorchester hospital !!]].

Parking is free if you can find a space on the road ....... but there is a pay & display close by.

I have managed Castletown with my little Orkney 440 pulled by my Golf quite easily and it's much easier with tide covering the horrible step at the bottom .... why can't they make slips long enough...... cf. Lymington, Wick, Lake , Mudeford and probably most others ......can't be concrete technology's the problem !

Neil's friend had the big 4 x 4, needed to pull each boat out in turn. How heavy are your Warriors laden up with engines, fuel and gear [even the anchor is three times the size of mine on 440 !] ?? ... even that 4 x 4 {fontera} had to heave some and pulled the rope so tight onto the towball it was hard to get off !!!

Where to next ??? Hard to beat Mudeford and the Ledge on a nice summers morning [ or a calm winters day] !!

Tight lines,

Alun

Nice report Alun - we must meet up and fish together in the near future??

My 165 weighs in at around 13 - 1400kgs fully loaded with 2 tanks of fuel, 2/3 crew and all the rest of the gear. I think they are 1200kg unlaiden.

I pull mine with my little astra, fine on the road, baiter and good, dryish, weed free slips, but struggles at wick on a low tide - we then use James' Frontera.