Rav4 - Tecnical Stats Query

Adam F

I think that Rach and I have settled on the Rav4.

A few queries though you guys may be able to help with. Basically the car will be fine for what she wants it for, shopping, work, shopping, shopping...you get the picture.

However I want to hitch 1300kgs of boat to it and drive it up bumpy, slippy ramps! tongue.gif

Looking at the tecnical stats and using my basic engineering knowledge I surmise the following.

Kerb Weight: 3 Door 1330kgs, 5 Door 1385kgs

Max Tow Cap. (braked) 1500kg

Torque: 141lbs / ft

Is this all I need to know...is this ok for what I need it for?

Final question....The Tow Cap. and the Torque are the same, but the kerb weights are slighly diff, by 50kgs. The 3 door suits our needs better, so will 50kgs make much differnece to its pulling capacity?

Not too up on technical requirements for cars, but it looks like you've covered it all.

I'd re-think the 3 door vs 5 door, though.

Just about everyone I have talked to that have a 3 door wished they had got the 5 door. They would have prefered the extra space available in the 5 door.

Bob F.

50kg is what? 110 lbs or 8 stone which is about the weight of a small person. So I think the answer is no it wont make much differance if at all and if you were in a situation so bad as 8st would make a differance then you were pushing your luck anyway.

However I would say that a 4 door would probably hold a better resale value.

Mad Mike

Not long after we got married, the missus bought a micra. It was the 3 doors version and we thought it was right choice, as it was only for us 2. However, we regretted our decision soon after because, on the 3 doors, the doors are much longer than the 5 doors, making opening doors in carparks with narrow spaces very difficult. You have to open them that much wider to get out.

5 doors might not look as smart as the 3 doors, but as Martin and mike said, it gives you better option and resale value.

Adam, if I were about to splash out on a new motor, with a view to using it to recover the boat, I would be looking at the tide tables, selecting a big tide, arrange with the dealer to bring the motor to a steep slippery slipway, and see if it does the job he claims it will! Sounds too easy for me! Does this model have an Rdiff lock?? That would be a real asset for recovery.

Regards, Rich

Nope it's just a boggo 4wd. But I think for what I need it for it will cope fine.

I think you are right the 5dr is the better chioce. Not many around though, more 3drs - but hell, they are small inside. Although she has a KA at the moment, so she will be used to it!