Simple rig for Bream?

rich

Hi Rich,

Simple is the keyword for me when bream fishing. I havent found complicated = more fish.

Here's how I do it. 2 hook patenoster.

Start with a simple barrel swivel, tie on approx 4' of 20lb nylon. Slide on 2 x size 4 aberdeens. Then tie on another barrel swivel with a clip link to the other free end to attach the weight to. Final step is to position the two hooks equidistant on the trace and then secure then with a double overhand loop.

This is about as simple as it gets. I can re-tie this trace in about 60 seconds, making ideal for quick rig replacement. The 20lb trace line is tough against the rocky areas bream are found. Finally the aberdeen hooks are quite springy meaning I can usually pull a trace free even if it snags.

post-5-1206519785ibf

This also works well for the whiting.

I tend to use bigger hooks....... size 1 or 1/0 ..... which gives more lip hooking \ fewer deep hooked fish; easier to unhook and return unharmed.

On rougher ground, you certainly get fewer snag-ups with this rig .... but on smoother ground, I revert to my simple 2 hook [ Pennel-style] ledger.

Alun.

As Adam suggests there are a number of factors to take into account when considering which rig to fish for bream.......

1. anchor or drifting

2. speed of tide

3. bottom!

4. scratching or catching

At anchor over typically rough bream ground with a nice flow of tide I usually start with a 1 up 1 down rig possibly alternating baits between the two hooks or fishing 2 rods with different baits.

From this I establish the bait and the preferred hook as well as gernerally how much activity is going on. This can lead to me switching to a single hook, paternoster or running ledger (depending on the above) with the bait of the day. I don't like twin paternoster rigs for bream as hooking up to 2 fish will inevitably result in them getting badly ripped mouths from darting against each other.

As Adam I prefer to keep it simple and fish springy hooks - my favorite is small light wire crab patterns or semi circles for best hook ups, but small gap long shank to unhook easily if lots of small fish around.

Rich,

It's also important to rig the bait effectively, and not mask the hook point. Try small ragworm, rag tipped with a small bit of squid, squid strip, or mackerel strip - size 4 is good, and you will catch bigger stuff too.

The "party squid" referred to on another post are good, but might need a larger hook, such as a 1 or 1/0, as can be a "normal" squid head cut lengthways.

I have also caught them on 5/0 hooks on double squid baits when after ray, and this has definitely sorted out the better quality fish.

You will also find that early bream can be shy biters (small hooks best), and you will get shy "plucks" instead of the traditional "rattles" you get later in the year. If you wait and wait, they will rob your bait, if you strike you miss. The only technique I've found that works is to lift the rod tip slowly, and try to encourage them to snatch it. If that fails, back down to the same spot, and wait for the next pluck!

Good luck - but the early ones can be frustrating!

Mike

You will also find that early bream can be shy biters (small hooks best), and you will get shy "plucks" instead of the traditional "rattles" you get later in the year.

Mike - I find that it is opposite to this, early fish are ravenous and slam the rod over hooking themselves in the process. Later in the year they become more wary and need hooking by the angler.

I guess - unless you are talking about the really early fish - like the ones about now?

True re. hooking the bait - I simply hook it once to keep the hook free. My personal favourite bait is half a big squid head.

Cant wait for these beasties to arrive!! biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...