Tope protected

Whilst applauding the announcement of measures to make tope a catch and release species it has to be pointed out that as far as I am aware the local commercial boys dont kill large numbers of these fish anyway so the measure in itself is unlikely to improve our local sport.

This has to be seen as a compensatory measure by the government to appease the recreational sector after the bass mls fiasco.

Tope are even more migratory than bass and this is their downfall as they fall prey to longliners in international waters. Conservation measures are only going to be effective when we stop thinking interms of our own bit of water and start getting international cooperation. Lets hope we do get some better runs of tope but its a shame for the shore anglers that bass are not to be better protected.

Incidentally in a commons reply last week Mr Jonathan Shaw stated that there were no plans to introduce measures to protect adult bass when they are offshore in the winter. The consequence of this will be a decline in average size of bass caught inshore as I have pointed out in my response to the draft RSA strategy.

Cheer up there's always carp fishing!

Pete

Ps it must be the time of year and the weather

Unfortunately Martin, I think its more an "age thing", my diving buddy and I were having a similar moan about things at the weekend and it occurred to us that somehow we had become just like those 2 infamous "Old Gits"

Gordon H ph34r.gif

Ps it must be the time of year and the weather

Unfortunately Martin, I think its more an "age thing", my diving buddy and I were having a similar moan about things at the weekend and it occurred to us that somehow we had become just like those 2 infamous "Old Gits"

Gordon H ph34r.gif

laugh.gif there seems to be a lot of us around at the moment....... I wonder why? sad.gif

Martin

Guys,

I also have joined the Old Gits club and I get really angry when reading and reviewing the governments position on matters "Fishing"

See their replys to the recent petititions mad.gif

Unfortunately I also get angry about their decision making ability (or lack of it) on matters other than Fishing, like the economy and their mismanagement of pension scheme controls and and and and....Why did you start me off on this thread sad.gif

Still we wont have anything to worry about in around 10 years time cos there won't be any decent sized fish to catch inshore and we won't be buying rod licenses because it won't be worth it and we dont want to fund a further policing force do we? ph34r.gif

Fallen Off Soapbox now (I was sooooo angry!!!)

It must be an age thing or perhaps frustration at not being able to get out on the water and catch some pesky fisheees smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Peteg