Tackle advice

Member Removed

Hi Guys,

Just looking at what tackle I will need for when I get sorted with my own boat.

I currently have:

3 Uptide Rods

2 20-40lb 5'9" stand up Star rods

2 Abu 6500CT reels

2 Abu 7500 CT reels

2 Shimano TLD 20 reels

150 to 175g breakaway uptide leads

various hooks etc

I've read various posts on rods & reels, but would be grateful for a definitive "bare bones" list of what I would need to cover myself - I know tackle is a personal preference subject & if anything I err on the side of better quality gear (Tackle tart!!)

Any advice gratefully received!

Kind Regards,

Andrew T

Thanks Guys,

I'm thinking two 12-20lb 8' (ish) rods matched to Abu 7500's loaded with 30lb Braid & two 20-40lb downtide rods with Shimano TLD 20's & 30lb (or 50lb??) Braid?? - Would the TLD 20's be too big??

If so, what should I be going for?

Dave - How do you rig for float fishing for Bass - Any drawings on the forum?? - The ones on Portland rigs were very helpful.

Cheers,

Andrew T

Andrew

I would scale down the braid to 20lb on the lighter outfits and maximum 30lb on the heavier outfits. Heaviest braid I have loaded on my reels is 25lb which I cant break with a rod. Don't forget to use a rubbing leader of mono to reduce breakage through abasion, a couple of rod lengths would do fine.

7500's will be fine for downtiding, uptiding or wrecking but if bream fishing or floatfishing for bass 6000 size reels will be more comfortable.

TLD's are brilliant reels and will suit 20lb+ class rods perfectly

Martin

Andrew

The list that you allready have is fairly extensive and the choice of manufactureres good.

Apart from light rods and Braid I am sure that you have more than enough.

I imagine that you also have light rods from the other fishing you do, just remember to wash the salt off after use.

The boats you are looking at are more than able to fish 4 rods but with the two uptiders and two downtiders you have more than enough to get you going.

The TLD 20 will cope with all that you get downtiding, Conger Rays Tope Cod, but as others have said I would load with braid. [My TLD's are loaded with 30lb]

If once you get going you want to add reels I find TLD15's more than adequate. and tend to use them insted of the 20.

I use abu 7000's on my uptiders, for what they are designed for in shallow water and as soft tipped rods for pollacking over wrecks etc.

a lot of our end tackle is fairly simple running ledger or patenhoster/baited feather

so all is reuired is a selection of hooks, beads,swivels.

and leads tend to range from 1oz balls, grip leads for uptiding up to 11/2 lb Bopedo's for downtiding.

Talking leads, do not buy at shop prices, at least one Members makes them up at vastly reduced prices, and the Club and several Members own moulds if you are able to make them yourself.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Andrew,

Which member - I need sorting out with leads myself ! biggrin.gif

I have a TLD 20 matched to a 30-50lb rod but find it a little heavy to use. The TLD 15 is more suitable I think - especially as you dont need the larger spool of a TLD 20 with braid.

Recently got a Penn Lever Drag and quickly becoming a convert to these - but I need tackle which copes with being abused as I am not one for carefully looking after reels ( 3 years of use and throw away more like ! )

• 3 weeks later...