Hello Everyone!

Member Removed

Just a quick note to introduce myself.

My name is Andrew Taylor & I live up in East Anglia.

After several years of beach fishing, I took up trout fishing on reservoirs such as Grafham Water, Rutland Water, Chew Valley Lake, Bewl, Hanningfield etc & fished for some of the top competition teams & even qualified to fish for England.

I have always had a desire to have my own boat & would love to catch a double figure Bass (Who wouldn't!).

I am looking at possibly buying a Warrior 165 or 175 & would appreciate any members comments on these boats in particular & also engine size & type - I've looked at some of the threads on the forum & opinion seems very divided! (I quite like the idea of Etec's for what it's worth, but have no real experience to draw upon)

Also, I would probably look to keep my boat trailered & in a secure location close to Poole / main launching areas - Can anyone point me in the right direction here please?

Happy New Year & Tight Lines to you all,

Andrew Taylor

Hi Andrew,

Remember trailering means trailer maintenance. Brakes will be needed if the trailer gross weight is more than 750kg.

If you can get away with a lighter craft below the 750kg and your towing vehicle is capable you can reduce the maintenance time and \ or cost.

Your in the right place if you have questions you want answered, I'm sure the guys here will help you out.

Rob

Hi Andrew,

Come and have a few trips out with some of our members, who ,like me , will point out the key points for and against their boats......and you can find which compromise suits you best.

I'm lucky enough to have lots of time to go fishing but my little Orkney is one of the smallest boats......but suits me to the ground [and catches lots of fish!].

Rapidly coming to the leanest time of the year........but you're welcome whenever,

Alun.

PJ - No real plans to fly fish for bass, though I'm sure it could be effective in the right circumstances.

Out of interest, what do you guys find is the most successful method for bass?

Rob - Thanks for the trailer advice - I've got a Landrover Discovery, so should be ok for Warrior 165/175 size of boat.

As I mentioned, I would like to keep my boat (when I get one!) local to Poole to minimize the distance I would otherwise have to tow.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Alun,

Thanks for your offer.

I definitely would like to come down in the future & would be willing to crew for anyone who was willing to show me the ropes - I'd be glad to contribute to fuel & bait.

There would be a lot for me to learn not only in terms of boat handling/maintenance etc but also getting to know the best marks & tactics, so any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

Welcome Andrew

I am sure you will receive a lot of advice regarding warriors as several Members own and fish from them.

They are a popular and capable boat.

You have without doubt hit on a good source of information and advice so please join in

My advice if you are a novice boat owner would be to accept a few offers of crewing to learn the basics, then if you decide to proceed with your own craft get a bit of training with a Powerboat level 2 course.

And of course consider joining PBSBAC the best small boat club on this area of the coast.

Others have found that joining the Club was the best move they made, when changing to boat angling in the sea.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Andrew

Having moved down from Bedfordshire 3+Yrs ago I know what you are going through.

If it is any help I run a web site for users to give their opinions of their craft, I have also included a number of reports from various locations. See my signature for the link.

I too have a Warrior 165 and find it a fine craft and the 175 is reported to be even better but is a differant design regarding its hull and not just a foot larger than the 165. We have one club member who has one and I am sure he will report back to you on his thoughts.

Regarding storage of the boat, it all depends on how big your wallet is, many of the marinas store, at a price, and where you wish to launch from.

I would advise you I personally think Baiter slip is the worse slip I have come accross but it is THE only public slipway where you can launch at a reasonable cost.

If you want to know of other storage locations PM as I can advise you where I keep mine at a more reasonable cost.

Regards

Dave

aka

Coddy

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum and one of (actually THE) the best small club on the South Coast.

The 165 is without doubt one of the best boats in it's class and can be purchased for really good money used and OK new. I know the chaps at Warrior fairly well and they are decent guys, but they are in business and their boat show deals are not necessarilly that spectacular, but push them anyway.

The Pro Angler is a lot smaller inside than the standard boat so if you ever plan to fish more than two it may not be suitable.

Not sure your preferred fishing styles, but if you plan to drift much (a lot of our bassing is on the drift), you may find a boat with better all round side decks will give more space for two or three anglers to comfortably fish without being at odd angles.

The 175 is also a very fine boat on the water, but look out for the angle it sits at when at anchor or on a mooring. It's an indication of where the balance of the boat may be, but also makes the self draining scuppers a bit superfluous as water actually drains forward rather than back when you are not there or sitting at the helm. If two "largish" anglers stand at the transom you may find a little water creaps in through the scuppers which sort of defeats the object.

Finally, in the price range of the 175 there are a huge number of other boats with all different features out there (not just the ones I sell) so if a 175 is more the size for you look much more closely at what is available before handing over your deposit.

(That said, the 175 will do you proud too).

Welcome aboard PBSBAC

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the advice.

I'm coming down more on the side of a decent used 165 as my first boat & will start to look around for one seriously in a couple of months.

Not done any small boat fishing, so don't have any real style (My wife reminds me of this all the time!)

I would like to get into bass fishing & as I said in an earlier post, I'd love to catch (& release) a double figure bass.

You said you drift for bass, is this with livebait (mackerel?) - can you give me some tips on rigs etc??

Cheers,

Andrew

one way to do it click here

and here

Loads more info throughout the site. Use the search facility above right. Make sure you use specific search words and remember to check the box to search newer/older than 30 days or probalbly more appropriate the search all check box

Any specific info you can't find ask away

Martin