Fish ID

great white

Hi All

I caught a lovely bright Red Gurnard on Sunday that I am sure is a Red.

my PC will not open the Aquarium Project on the website so I have looked it up in my books.

It looks like the one pictured as a Red and the description fits:

A Deep Red fish with a paler underside and a snout tipped with 3 or 4 spines.

British record 2lb 13oz.

The Tub in the book has a blunter snout and is browner with blue fins

Description:

Red to reddish brown recognised by bright red pectoral Fins marked blue and Green and a smooth lateral line.

British record 11lb 7oz

The Club record is vacant for this species so I would like to be sure it is a red before I add it to the list, especially as it was me that caught it. cool.gifcool.gif

There is no NFSA size listed on thier Spreadsheet for our area so I have emailed them to ask if there is one.

I have added a photo and would welcome you comments

Sane one please MnM.

Thanks Guys

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

post-4-1086814904.jpg

Looks like a Red according to the pictures of a Tub and a Red in the Aquarium project.

Last year young Robert caught one of these on feathers whilst mackerel fishing. He'd been dragging the feathers along the bottom.

It was pretty big too, at least 2lb, and definitely a Red and not a Tub.

Didn't realise it could've been a record (how many times to you hear that???!!).

Which brings up another point...if a fish is caught on feathers, can it be claimed as a club record, or even a British record???

Bob F.

Bob

I think the rules of the club state that two hooks only to be fished so if you had two hooks on, baited with feathers then I would say whatever you caught would count. Any more than two hooks and it wouldnt, I do however seek guidance/clarification from our fish recorder

Martin

Hi all thanks for that

I will now add to the book as the new Club Record. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

On the other point of hook numbers

Our competitions are run on the rule of a maximum of 2 hooks

over one or two rods.

However we follow the rules of the NFSA when not in competitions,

which I believe state that no more than 3 hooks should be in use.

Therefore if you are using 4 feathers, no fish caught on that rig can be counted.

you can of course use a set of three feathers, or even a set cut in half for comps.

I prefer to use the set of 4 but cut the hook off of the top one with pliers, [it leaves the feather as an attractor]

I will check the NFSA rules at home later, and post again if this is incorrect.

Charlie biggrin.gif

"when not in competitions, which I believe state that no more than 3 hooks should be in use."

Is that 3 hooks per rod or 3 hooks per person (e.g. if you are fishing 3 rods you can only have 1 hook per rod. So fishing 4 rods would be breaking club rules, if you wanted to claim a club record)????

Bob F.

Hi All

I have checked the NFSA site and extracted the following smile.gif

S 2 Equipment. An angler is permitted to have up to three rods set up with reels, lines and traces attached but can only have one line in the water at one time. Reels must be operated by hand (Subject to Rule G 5.1, Electric Reels); ratchet handle reels and reels designed to be cranked by both hands at the same time are prohibited.

S 3 Terminal Tackle. Spare baited traces are allowed and no more than three hooks may be attached to any trace. A treble hook counts as one hook but no more than one treble hook and two single hooks may be used in a rig, with the exception of plug type spinning lures which are permissible when used alone.

S 4 Baits. All baits, feathers and / or lures may be used, unless notified otherwise by the Organisers.

NOTE

We seem only to be following these as guidelines.

It was decided through committee and AGM to allow the use of two rods in competitions as long as no more than 2 hooks were being used.

A pennel to count as one hook as per the rule for trebles above.

But I believe that the number of hooks [Max 3 per trace] should be in place at all times.

but appreciate that most feather rigs are in 4's.

Perhaps we need to discuss this at the next Meeting Martin?

As we all use more than 1 rod quite a lot of the time when at anchor.

are we happy with no limit on rods but a limit on hooks? [when not fishing competitions.] Is there a point on limiting one without the other?

All thoughts on the above will be appreciated

I have opened the can of worms, so get in there MnM. wink.gif

Go for it laugh.giflaugh.gif

Charlie

I read it somewhere any fish that to be considered as a record fish, it HAS to be weighted on shore, i.e killing the fish (in most cases), am I right?

Personally I think that (if it is true) is a terrible rule and would want none of it.

I don't bother to record what I catch as it matters so little to me. How does one measure the weight of enjoyment? Someone will catch a 25lb ray for the record book and some one else might catch a nice sole for the table. Who enjoys which more?? Me I just love the whole thing, from the early morning launch through to the calm of the end of the day return, and if I've caught fish so much the better.

Mad Mike

I agree with you mike about the killing of fish that are not wanted for the table just to weigh them ashore.

This is what is required for a national record claim, I know people who would rather put a record fish back.

My Mate Spike Spears caught a british record smoothy, on Bessie Vee while filming John Wilsons Go Fishing.

It was well over the record size [28lb +] but went back in after a few pictures. I bet Spike enjoyed the fight though.

and the Tope record has been beaten several times.

Well done those anglers I say.

Our Club does not require any fish to be killed,

we will accept weights taken onboard and reported to me prior to or at the next monthly meeting.

The Club and its fish recorders log book is run on trust.

The one thing we ask is that if a fish is being recorded it is weighed and not estimated, if the fish is to be returned please handle them gently and return ASAP to minimise stress to the fish

Charlie

Hi All

I have checked the NFSA site and extracted the following smile.gif

S 2 Equipment. An angler is permitted to have up to three rods set up with reels, lines and traces attached but can only have one line in the water at one time......

Is that in comp or in general fishing?

As you said, most feathers are at least 4 hooks, some have 6 hooks. It really save a lot of time if drifting for mackeral for bait, a few drifts and it's off to fishing marks. Can we make an exemption for feathering mackeral or not? As long as any fish caught are not recorded when using 3+ feathers.

In most small boats with 2 anglers onboard, I would have thought 2 rods per person is pretty much the norm without the boat resembling a sea urchin?

As a matter of interest how does a 2 hook pennel set up rate? I mean it's just ONE bait presented. It's nothing like a 2 trace paternoster rig.

Logic would dictate that a 2 hook pennel counts as one hooked bait?

Also factor in a 3 hook 'gang hook' where the bend of the second and third hooks go through the eye of the one below??

Mad Mike