Pumping your rod

toma

Depends what you mean by "pumping".

I wouldn't say that just reeling in is the right way because it puts a lot of strain on the reel and doesn't necessarily use the action and power of the rod to lift the fish. Just winding on the reel is like using a winch.

Pumping is the way I was taught to bring up a big fish, but this doesn't mean bullying it. The key techniques are using a correctly set clutch and keeping the rod tip high when the fish is fighting so the cushioning action of the rod is properly used. Avoid lowering the rod tip so that it is pointing at the fish when it is pulling, because this is effectively just winding straight on to the reel which could lead to a line break if the fish makes a sudden serge.

If the clutch is properly set you can't really bully the fish because it should be capable of taking line if you are pulling too hard.

He sayeth the guy who lost 4 fish last weekend due to my leader knots breaking!! unsure.gif

Bob F

Hmmmm ....depends on how you are fishing. - Just to confuse things.

When fishing a shad, sandeel etc on a long flying collar rig pumping is a no,no. The bouncing effect the lead has (exagerated on a heavy lead) can lead to the hook pulling or being bounced out of the fishes' mouth. So wind up off the bottom 34/40 turns eg. then when the fish hits, BANG!....carry on going, winding slowely and let the rod do the work...boring I know, but the only way to do it.

When fishing 'traditionally' pumping is the accepted method to gain line onto the reel without causing undue stress to the reel. Pump and Wind etc, etc...

Hope this helps?

tongue.gif Would agree with most of what was said but what about conger when wreck fishing? You need to get that big mother away from the structure asap and the best way is to pump and wind as hard as you dare. Big ballans are the same, you need to drag them up from the rocks otherwise Piiinnnggg. BB cool.gif

When i say pumping, i went from waist to about head height, never pointed the rod down to the water.

The fish did take line from the reel,so methinks i had the clutch set right.

I'll have to come down and watch you fella's wink.gifwink.gifrolleyes.gif

to pump or not to pump?

This depends on the species and depth of water.

Skippers usually say don't pump Cod or Pollock as it can wear a hole in the fishes mouth and make the fish spin off the hook.

Also, it's the winding down and keeping slack out of the line which is critical.

If you need to put pressure on a fish, very short pumps is the way to go

Thanks for the advice lads.

I did not do big pumps, LoL, (even tho i had a curry the night before wink.gif )

As i said waist height to head height, and i also reeled down, not letting any slack line, but what is done is done, never mind always a next time biggrin.gif