Fish Stock Intentions

Maverick Martin

Below is a copy of a letters sent by our conservation officer to the fisheries minister and his local MP

We do need answers from all parties as with a general election not to far off we need to know who we will vote for

19th September 2007                                                    Secretary of State for the Environment

Defra

Nobel House

17 Smith Square

LONDON SW1P 3JR                                                           

Dear Mr Shaw,

As Conservation Officer for the Poole and District Sea Angling Association I am becoming increasingly alarmed at the lack of action by the government in addressing the needs of the recreational angling sector. The government

Well,

Proof that sending a letter does get a reply. I have received the following reply which was sent to my MP ( 10/10 for him ). ( Couldn't get my scanner working, so typed it all out ).

Thank you for you letter of 10th Sept to Hilary Benn on behalf of your constituent P Dore - ..... about recreational sea angling (RSA). I am replying as the minister responsible for this policy area.

We recognise the importance of recreational sea angling and an increased role for anglers in local fisheries management and we have strengthened representation for anglers on most Sea Fisheries Committees (SFCs). We recently consulted on proposals to increase the minimum landing size for bass to benefit both commercial and recreational fishermen. We will also be considering the need for further measures to secure larger and more numerous bass, such as bag limits for recreational sea anglers, near shore netting restrictions, closed areas of seasons and gear restrictions. We would be looking at measures which would benefit the UK fishery and any such measures would of course be subject to full consultation with all relevant stakeholders.

Last year we established the Coastals Waters Policy team, which provides a central focus for sea angling interests in Defra. We are also taking the opportunity of the forthcoming Marine Bill to consider equipping fisheries aqdministrators with powers that may be necessary for a more active approach to managing recreational fisheries. Work is currently underway with anglers, commercial fishermen and other interested parties on the drafting of a recreational sea angling strategy for England.

The Marine bill will equip fisheries managers with powers that may be necessary for a more active approach to managing recreational fisheries in the future. These will include proposals to introduce a recreational sea angling licence and the extension of controls to anglers and fishers from the shore. This may include "bag limits" ( i.e. controls on the number of fish that can be retained ) for recreational and hobby fisherman. The Marine Bill is intended to give Defra the powers to be able to introduce a bag limit, but not a bag limit itself. The use of any such powers to introduce a bag limit would be subject to a full consultation, setting out the costs and benefits of any measures, so we can gather a range of views. Details on how a bag limit could operate, or how many fish could be taken, would be species specific and set out in the consultation options for any fish for which measures are proposed.

The scheme would be similar to that operated by the Environmnental Agency for freshwater angling. Work on these proposals is in early development, so at this stage it is not possible to set out particular details, the cost or when it could be introduced. We would expect that any proposed licensing scheme would clearly need to demonstrate the benefits to sea anglers.

It is clear that the needs of recreational sea anglers and examples of best practice should be considered as fisheries policy is developed and work is well under way towards an RSA strategy. The strategy will be developed through Defra's inshore fisheries working group, which meets to discuss and advise on fisheries matters of importance to the inshore zone. The group includes both recreational and commercial fishermen, SFC's and other key stakeholders which will ensure this work is taken forward in partnership with all who have a stake in fish stocks.

Defra has recognised the importance of the RSA sector and the role that they have to play in local fisheries management.

Jonathan Shaw

Nice to see that replies are coming.

However the answer seems to elaberate the ways in which they are considering quote "controls on the number of fish that can be retained ) for recreational and hobby fisherman"

I did not read anything about giving more power to do the same against commercial over fishing by British or Foriegn boats mad.gif

I for one will not be happy if we end up by paying a licence fee just to control/limit catches in the RSA sector. I am sure "managing recreational fisheries" will not save our countries fish stocks

Charlie mad.gif