1st Night Session

Gnasher

well, near disaster on the way with wheel bearing problems, anway we made it to the slip was only to find the bearing shot, so there was no way we were going to to be getting the boat home that night!

Met Ian at the slip in the buddy boat and we headed around the head in the last 30 mins of light of feather up a few maccy! Nothing on the finder, and we feathered until dark and managed 2 joeys between us! We got tight to our mate who threw us 4 squid over, so with now 2 small maccy and 4 calamari on board for four rods, we feared a short session was on the cards. Anyway, we motored over to the ledge drop off in near darkness!

No flappers or big baits to use this time, instead the joeys were diced into 6 chuncks each!

Tied to a bouy (after circulating it, as the last potter was still there which suprised me), dropped down in 55ft in amongst the rocks in a raging tide! 5 mins in, my rod fished close was away, the tip was going mad, but it felt very bassy when i hit it, before it dropped off! The bait come back completly unmarked and as we were rationing the bait bigtime, the same bait went down again!

11pm, Dom is away on a single squid, a decent scrap and the first eel is hanging on the surface 30meters down tide on the surface, now the fun bit if trying to drag it along the top of the tide and T-bar it off at the side which we did with no problems!

Shortly after, i'm away, again on squid, and a good fight the 2nd eel is ours!

A jumbo pouting is next on board to me, which is cut up for baits and whilst doing this, Dom boats another eel of about 20lb!

The sea was a bit lumpier by this time, and i was suprised to see white horses breaking on top! A huge tide, and with the wind was whisteling, i should of expected it!

last knockings and Doms away again, this time on a chunk of pout! 5 minutes later, and a powerful eel of about 30lb makes it our last for the evening!

Comming in, we have a spot light issues, but staying up our buddy boats ar$e made sure we were ok but it was no fun, with waves crashing over the top of the boat getting you soaked!

Up the run and tied up at 2am with a tally of 4 eels between the 2 of us on Dat Dam Boat, and a sloitary eel for our buddy boat! Not too bad overall on our maiden night voyage, although i think if we had plenty of baits and wernt forced to use small washed out baits then i think we would of done much better!

Edited by Gnasher

Glad you got out OK. I thought someone had stolen your boat when I saw you by the side of the road on my way home !

Your bearing did look a bit duff when you pulled off as well. Amrose trailers will sort you out.

fitting new ones today. Ive picked up a new hub and bearing for 17squid from ambrose. The otherside was only done last month so they should be ok. Shes still out on a mooring as we speak but Dom will bring her home later rolleyes.gif The one that went was actually fairly new, but the lack of grease was the problem ph34r.gif

Edited by Gnasher

Hi Dan

Glad the trailer is sorted

and sounds as if the first night trip went well

In my experiance its always worth taking some bait with you on the evening trips, as the slightest hick up costs you the time and daylight you need to collect bait.

If there are no delays and you get fresh bait the old stuff can be used to groundbait so it does not go to waste.

Charlie.

We were well chuffed with our first night trip, apart from the hic-ups which Dan's already wrote about it was brilliant, our buddy boats first night trip out aswell. Was nice to catch a few good fish but shame about the lack of bait....thank god for the bonus pout Dan caught, shall be trying to catch a few of them for bait next time as i only used it for about 15mins on one rod and caught the largst conger, 2 of them fell to squid and only 1 conger fell to mackerel! Next time more bait will be taken with us as the macky were well hard to find. Roll on next time!

Dom