Competition Enthusiasm

Fugazi

Regarding the recent suggestions on the forum that people don't enter competitions because they don't think they have a chance of winning, the same comments are being made here in Spain at my Father in Law's fishing club. One of the things they have proposed is pairing up newby's with the experts who regularly win competitions to see if that helps impart some knowledge and experience. I guess it also gets members who normally wouldn't, talking to each other. Sounds a good idea but don't know what others think?

Gordon H

I'd go along with that.

I've got some fishing tackle but barely a clue as to what to do with it.

I've got a boat but barely a clue as to where to take it.

Willing to support the competitions too but haven't joined in so far not so much because I don't think I have a chance in winning, I'm not really the competitive type anyway, more that I don't want to be a drain on someone elses time who maybe does have a chance in winning!

Regarding the recent suggestions on the forum that people don't enter competitions because they don't think they have a chance of winning, the same comments are being made here in Spain at my Father in Law's fishing club. One of the things they have proposed is pairing up newby's with the experts who regularly win competitions to see if that helps impart some knowledge and experience. I guess it also gets members who normally wouldn't, talking to each other. Sounds a good idea but don't know what others think?

Gordon H

I think it is a first class idea. I would go as far as sugesting a specific comp or comps where just that happens, sorta like a mixed double 1 novice + 1 competition expert per boat.

Whatever way the idea gets my vote.

Mad Mike

Sounds like a good idea

I believe in Burnham they have a system of a new Member being buddied up to the person who proposed him to join the Club, The experianced Member then becomes the mentor for the novice to the Club.

That system would work for the where to take the boat but not so good for how to fish.

Charlie

Hi Dan

Don't worry I can give you plenty of places where not to try .................. but then again it could be me and my technique, or lack of it wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Sounds a good idea to me.

Did anyone know it is "FISHING WEEK" this week.

Heard John WIlson on Steve Wright show today saying how important it is to bring a buddy when you go fishing to get them interested. All the above was for course and fly fishing. Seems many waters are free to newbies to sample.

1 in 20 of the english population go fishing at sometime every year!

Now that is some powerful group if we could all get together (some chance!)

Coddy

cool.gif

Not a bad idea - something to give an airing at next month comittee meeting.

On top of this, I'm sure the vast majority of members would willingly take our newbies to share knowledge etc.

I would for one - just drop me a PM, and when / if / ever the weather gets better, we will go. Dont be scared!!