Bream Comp.

alun j.

Do we have a reserve date for the Bream Comp if the wind continues to blow all week and on to Sunday, as forecasters are pointing ??

If it has to be moved, will the pairing with Burnham Boats join it as well?

Alun.

Conger - Alun knows the scheduled date (next Sunday) but also has an insight into next Sunday's weather (via a forecast not any new 6th sense I trust!) and, with the following Sunday's bream comp and other date's is asking what the contingency is likely to be..................

Will be watching the weather carefully regarding the PBSBAC Bream Comp on Sunday, from a safety perspective.

I get my medium range synoptic charts from here:

http://www.meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm

and longer range combined temp/pressure charts from here:

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/avnpanel1.gif

This represents data sourced from the UK Met Office, sold on, re-packaged, then made available freely. The forecast and actual conditions may also differ, but I've found these sites good in the past.

I already suspect that few club members will be able to venture to the recognised bream grounds, or want to fish for them in the likely bumpy conditions next weekend. However, there is a significant difference between being unsafe, and being uncomfortable.

Rather than define a limit in advance what constitutes "safe" (for a well prepared, well-kitted out boat) a couple of miles out, I'm keen to understand what a small boat can practically fish in, and where the safety "margin" deteriorates unacceptably.

Please put your suggestions onto this thread.

Will discuss with Martin in advance, and a decision will be posted on the Forum the previous day - one way or another.

Mike

Its a good point Mike and with such a large and varied club water and such a range of boats in the club one could argue that even in a gale, there will be somewhere fishable.

A chat with Pete Russel Snr (Whistler) the previous safety officer wouldnt be a bad idea.

Personally for my boat, the worst wind is a SW, giving very little shelter at either Poole or Christchurch once a few miles offshore and anything over a F4 would keep me in, SE is similar.

Anything with a N in it is slightly better and Xchruch ledge would be OK in a 5.

As a ball park Id say a F4 is on the edge and a F4-5 is the max Id run a comp in.

Mike,

I would suggest that the conditions we fished the Cod comp in would have been reason to call off any of our club competitions !!

That was on the limit of what I would consider safe and I guess that was more a southerly F5 ?

SW would be fine for Poole boats as this would give Poole Bay shelter surely Adam?

Personally I don't even leave the harbour with winds in SSW to E quadrant unless they are cyclonic F1! even a F2 SE gives a miserable sea and poor conditions in the harbour entrance against any ebb.

NE through W up to 5/6

W/SSW 4/5

but whilst the conditions associated with the above 'on the day' winds will be 'safe' from Poole obviously they need to be considered against tides and underlying swells for comfort!

With today's blowy weather we are all inside thinking about next weekend rather than getting on with chores!

I can't make next week's date for the bream comp..... but when I glanced at Metcheck and Windguru, they are calling 20+ mph wind .........so I was wondering I might get to fish it after all , if it got moved !!! [ I know......selfish!!]

Much more important to get nice weather the weekend after ........ for Adam and Rachel ....... and the end of May for Half - term week and the possibility of someone planning to go out mid - channel or beyond.

Alun.

It is essential that we are aware that the final decision to go to see rests with the boat owner/skipper. As he has the knowledge of his boat and crews capability.

He must make his own weather checks and decision. IF IN DOUBT DO NOT GO.

The Committee can and will give guidlines and call off some comps if the weather is as poor as yesterday. but with such a variety of boats and areas to fish it is a hard decision to make. To be honest the Members have usually made it themselves anyway.

We have in the past fished comps "Harbour Only" but nowadays that could be several harbours and the fairness would depend on which comp you were fishing.

Bag weights Portland, species comps Portland, Christchurch and not so good at our base harbour in Poole.

IMHO

any SE forcast is a bad one. and an Easterly limits the fishing and catching from Poole

Charlie biggrin.gif