Ahoy There! Ahoy Here.

AHoy

Hi all. I have been lurking in the background for a few months gathering valuable information and wondering if it was right for me to join the forum and club with my combination of novice angling status and "mature years". Club member Clive put me at ease on that and here I am unsure.gif

For the record I have been around boats since "I were a lad", my father being a coaster skipper on the south coast in the '60s and '70s. I subsequently got into sailing, getting my Yachtmaster cert in 1976 - when trailing logs, flags and morse-by-light were part of the syllabus and VHF DF the height of technology blink.gif After several years away from boats my son got me back into boating via the sports powerboat route and the "pleasures" of boat ownership and dreams of idyllic angling trips recently got the better of me. A bit of updating with Powerboat level 2 and VHF DSC courses last year has got rid of most of the cobwebs and the fast motor boat experience is building - soon be time to add the angling complications.

Although I used to live and work in the Poole/Wimborne area for some years most of my boating has been Solent based, so I am spending time getting to know the harbour and local waters better. Any comments and advice from experienced club members more than welcome.

As far as angling goes, I have not caught a fish by rod and line - ever! Plenty of mackerel when spinning off the back of a sailboat but that is it. Lots to learn then. For general singlehanded/family boating activities and the planned fishing action I eventually decided on a Quicksilver 640 Pilothouse, which I keep moored at Cobbs Quay (another F Pontoon resident). Looking forward to meeting some of you in the near future and also to catching that first fish - automatically a record for me smile.gif

If anyone got this far - apologies for the long intro!

Alan.

Hi Alan, we met yesterday on F pontoon. 'Mature years'!!! You aint seen nothing yet mate. Our young whippersnappers are in their 50's! laugh.gif

Fishing ..... More anglers are caught by fishing tackle than fish!! biggrin.gif

In a few days we will have sorted our fishing gear and moved most of it to the boat. If you like I will send you a personal message (PM) via the club site and we can arrange to meet on F with an hour to spare. I will run through our tackle and end gear (rigs) and talk about a few marks in and out of the harbour for you to try.

Also on another occaision we can 'buddy' boat with you and go out together to fish an area.

If you need a crew for company and experiance ask young Sam the Man if he would like a trip. He is Great White's (Charlie) son. A very pleasant lad a mad keen fisherman and full of local knowledge.

Mad Mike

Hi Alan

and welcome to the mad house

I am sure there are many people that will help you get amongst some personal bests during the year.

If you start gently and build up knowledge I am sure you will rapidly gain skills and catch some fish.

Now thats Sams model is finished and our new boat not ready I am sure Sam would be up for a trip, [Thanks Mike]

Tight lines

Charlie

In a few days we will have sorted our fishing gear and moved most of it to the boat.

Great let go down and burgle Mike's boat next week.

Seriously, Cobbs hasn't got that good of a security reputation, so I won't shout at the top of my voice you have gears down at your boat.

In a few days we will have sorted our fishing gear and moved most of it to the boat.

Great let go down and burgle Mike's boat next week.

Seriously, Cobbs hasn't got that good of a security reputation, so I won't shout at the top of my voice you have gears down at your boat.

It will be a delight to see you on the CCTV and You've been framed laugh.gif

There are a couple of little bugs to overcome to gain entry smile.gif

Mad Mike

Thanks for the encouragement and offers of assistance. Arranging to get some "initial guidance" from a club member soon about equipment, technique ... and fish! Later maybe find someone willing to join me as tutor and crew and possibly buddy up with other boats on some trips. That only leaves work/weather/domestics to sort - must be some expert club advice on that tongue.gif