Boat Rod

Afishionado

I need some help and advice I think.........

Up untill this coming season I have for the most part fished fairly light and in deeper fast running water (dolphin banks/ whitehouse grounds) uptided which allowed the use of leads of no more than 12oz. For the odd times I did downtide with 16 or 20oz leads I used a cheap Fladen boat rod which I guess would be about a 20lb category as I felt that to spend any more was unjustified.

I am certainly no 'tackle snob' in fact far more the opposite and deliberately eschewing posh rods.

Now with a bigger boat and the likelyhood of fishing further afield and in deeper faster running water I am wondering if I should treat myself to a 'proper' 30lb class rod. My problem is this.... I (no doubt due to ignorance) can not see where the difference or even what the difference is between a

This is going to be interesting methinks smile.gif

One point Mike. You say "I used a cheap Fladen boat rod which I guess would be about a 20lb category as I felt that to spend any more was unjustified."

How do you justify spending

I would have to agree with Alun. I have a full set of the Fladen Maxximus Solid C's and they serve me for all my fishing and add a great deal of pleasure as they are so light and 'gamey'. In fact, two would probably suffice for most of my fishing, although I use a longer rod for livebaiting and a spinning rod for lure fishing. You should be able to get them at around

Mike

Having only been seriousley boat fishing for about 2 years I have done the cheap rods and only selling them on ebay to recover some of the outlay makes me feel it wasn't totally pointless.

I am a convert to the Abu Conalon (obvious after fishing with Adam so often) The 30 to 40lb was my first (I now have 2 plus a couple of 50s) it has a nice soft tip to detect those sly conger bites and yet it behaved flawlessly hauling up that 55 last Wednesday.

They have stopped making it now but you can hunt them down on the web and they are going for a good price

There are some combo rods out there which you can use as downtide as well as uptide and they are in the 20-30 class whcih will cover most of the fishing.

As to whether thay are worth it, it's a personally matter. If you enjoy using it then it's worth it wink.gif

Hi Mike

As usual I am going to differant wink.gif

I have a Penn Extreme uptider which was in the economy end of prices but I just love it. It does what I want and I feel confident using the rod.

I have an Abu Conolon Tidemaster uptider, nice rod don't get me wrong BUT it does not have the feel of the Penn.

I also have a 12lb Fladden Maxximus Boat rod 2 piece which I have found to be superb, it is not the solid C type but still very light and comfortable to hold, see link for bargin price http://www.alderneyangling.com/rods1.htm I have also the 8ft solid carbon 20/40 rod but have yet to try it out so unable to comment.

If you want to treat yourself try the Abu Suveran rods, all I would suggest is find club members with rods you want to try out and have a word with them. You are more than welcome to try any of mine before spending your cash. smile.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Have to agree with Gordon with regard to the Conolon rods. I habe a 12-20lb one it is great to fish for bream.

I now have 3 of the solid-c rods. Rings are a bit easy to break on these and the reel seat is not the best, but they are so light to fish with and have ample power ( I caught my 30 lb tope on a 20-30lb rated one.

The latest aquisition is a 12ft one which I caught the cod with.

Must admit I have been tempted by the Daiwa rods though but have run out of money sad.gif

Mikey, you may also like to consider buying two rods of differing lengths, of the same-ish class, as using a pair of rods on the back of your boat, you will benefit from getting the second rod tip farther away from the first, separating lines, which may otherwise tangle. There are a few spanners thrown into Tom' excellent review of his handbuilt rod, which mainly is echoed here with pennings by Dean. One thing I'm not so sure about is the handling weight of a rod, with claims that you can hold it all day. If you are hauling up 1 1/2lbs of lead on a light short rod, cast after cast, then I'm afraid you will feel it at the end of the day. Your uptiding styles will allow far less weight to be used, and be easier on older, less supple limbs!

You know my attitude towards spending hundreds on rods, and I believe we are from the same mould as far as that is concerned. I havent been failed by uglys, and I know I bang on about them, but they are suitable for my style of fishing. I would rather spend a few more quid on a decent reel.

In the end, mate, its horses for courses, if you want to run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, unfortunately you have to be a thouroughbred, if you merely want to compete in the 100yard dash acrosss Camber Sands, a Beast of Burden will suffice!!

Rich

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with both Rich and Dean here.

Personally I loath the Solid C's. They, to me anyway, are Dean's Rhubarb.

You most certainly do get what you pay for, to a point.

The difference will be shown by the fixtures and fittings on the rod, their longevity and suitability for use with modern lines and such. In addition cheap rods "blanks" are one of two things, either absolute broomsticks or rhubarb.

I had a suite of maximuss rods from the 6lb class up to 30lb class and when new, out of the packet they looked good, but a little abuse and they were pants with rusty rings, corroding reel fittings and so on. They caught me just as many fish as any other rod, but the action was sloppy and no fun. I flogged them at a car boot as soon as I could.

VERY rough analogy:

A typical

stayed out so far and won't recommend a rod (very personal thing) but going back to your original post.................

imho

the first 30 pays for the fixtures and fittings

the next 30 gets you the construction/blank/quality control/r&d

from then on you are getting improvements in both

paying 60 makes sense for a rod you are going to use and want to enjoy using - beyond that you actually have to have a fish on the end to get much benefit but (1) they will both land it if you can (2) you can't put a price on such feel factors.

it's not like golf clubs or badminton racquets where better equats to improved performance capability.

finally don't underetimate the value of a real bargin - hours of enjoyment here and in the bar or alternatively rarity value - PJ's tuna stick is a must have item you simply can't get!

all the recomendations above are great rods, athough I really would get a 30lb downtider not heavy uptider against your stated requirements.